Author Topic: Hi from a potential purchaser (question about tyres)  (Read 1292 times)

• Offline Long way up

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline Long way up

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Hi from a potential purchaser (question about tyres)
    on: Jun 30, 2019, 06.23 am
    Jun 30, 2019, 06.23 am
    Hi guys.

I'm looking at getting a bike to travel cross-country and eventually around the world. The Crosstourer seems like a good bike for doing so. I rode one a while ago and it felt really good, though that memory is a bit hazy.
    There's a 2014 model for sale at a dealership near me that I took for a ride.  This one felt quite unsteady and inspired no confidence at all. The front wheel was bouncing at times in a straight line and it felt like it would tip over quite often.
    I realised from pictures when I got home that the tyres weren't matched: Karoo 3 at the front and a MCE Karoo on the back which looked quite old. From what I've seen these tyres were out a long time ago and Metzeler no longer sells them.

I've got no experience with dirt tyres on the road. Is this feeling normal, or am I possibly overreaching myself from my V-strom 650?
    Apologies for the wall of text; I would just hate to miss out on a good bike because of some bad tyres. The clutch seemed to engage a long way out, but I believe that could mean the line needs bleeding.

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Re: Hi from a potential purchaser (question about tyres)
    Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2019, 06.17 pm
    Jul 01, 2019, 06.17 pm
    Hi mate!
    Old is not an issue for the tyres (most over exaggerated internet-talk ever about tyres), the difference between the front and back tyre is most the suspect.
    But the front wheel has proven not the strongest so a stroke in the front wheel can also be the cause.
    Although I love this bike since 2012, and not even one other bike came close, it would not be my choice for a cross-country or even world-trip bike. It is way to heavy for that, cant pick it up yourself when it's fully packed.
    Spare parts are hard to find due to the low sales numbers and production now has been discontinued.

• Offline Long way up

• Topic Author

Offline Long way up

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2019, 03.46 am
    Jul 03, 2019, 03.46 am
    Appreciate the feedback. It seems like a bike built for long trips, though. What exactly do you have it for, then? Local  highway duties?
    I've been tossing up between this bike and a demo '16 Crossrunner. I'm starting to think the 'runner may be more suited for me. I was giving the Crosstourer a look because of my height (6'6") and I'm quite picky about engine smoothness, so I really wanted a 4 cylinder bike.

• Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    108

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2017 CT DCT
    Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2019, 06.14 am
    Jul 03, 2019, 06.14 am
    I’m currently using my CrossTourer on an around the world journey. So far completed Europe, Russia and Mongolia. About to ship across the Pacific.
    The weight hasn’t been an issue. As they say, once the wheels begin turning it’s gone, and when my trip buddy on his F800 is being blown all over the road, the CT is as steady as a rock. :028:
    The real difference is noticeable at the end of the day. He’s whacked, and I’m looking for more kms. That peach of an engine, with its massive torque, makes this type of riding a breeze.
    Get a set of Mitas E07’s and you’re good for 20,000 km of any terrain you’ll encounter on such a journey. Remember, you’ll be on tarmac 99% of the time.

I too was dubious about taking the CT around the world. Not any more.

Take a look at www.motoaddict.nz

Muzza

• Offline phantom53

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    21

Offline phantom53

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2015 CROSSTOURER
    • City / Town: SUNSHINE COAST
    Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2019, 08.42 am
    Jul 03, 2019, 08.42 am
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM LONG WAY UP.
    PHANTOM53...QLD.AUST. :152:

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2019, 12.21 pm
    Jul 03, 2019, 12.21 pm
    Hi there long way up and  :400: along to the worldwide colleCTive.  :028:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Long way up

• Topic Author

Offline Long way up

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2019, 01.21 pm
    Jul 03, 2019, 01.21 pm
    Some good reading on the blog, Muzza (and thank you for the welcome, guys). Got me thinking again about the CT after all. The 'runner and 'tourer are both nice bikes, so it's making the choice somewhat difficult. But I've always wanted a shaft drive bike...
    There are a few other 'tourers for sale near me, though they are the older 2012 models. But if they've been maintained better they may just be worth it. The '14 I tried was last officially serviced 13'000kms ago.

• Offline battle_bulge

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    146

Offline battle_bulge

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT DCT
    • City / Town: Brussels
    Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2019, 07.48 am
    Jul 04, 2019, 07.48 am
    G'day mate!
    On the '12 model, other than the DCT electronics which now has a few extra modes, and the adjustable windscreen, they are essentially the same, reliable, trust-inducing, banana smile rocket. Mine is a '12 model, am slowly nearing 65KKM and it runs like new.
    Just make sure you pick a red one and you'll be fine!
    CT1200X - CRF250L - CB50J

arab-exile