Author Topic: Potential VFR owner needs help! Amputee needs highway pegs!  (Read 2079 times)

• Offline TacomaJD

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline TacomaJD

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Potential VFR owner needs help! Amputee needs highway pegs!
    on: Jun 26, 2019, 10.29 pm
    Jun 26, 2019, 10.29 pm
    Hello!

I am in the market for a VFR1200X DCT. Long story short, I crashed a 2007 ZX10R back in March 2010, lost my left leg below the knee, knee is trashed, can't bend it past 90 degrees, so since then I have been confined to riding cruisers. I currently have a 2006 Kawi Vulcan Nomad 1600 that I have had for over 4 yrs, and recently discovered the fact that Honda made such a thing as the DCT....how I have missed this technology for all these years is beyond me, otherwise I would have owned one years ago.

So as an experiment to see how it would work, I bought a cheap used NC700X DCT in great shape with low miles, installed a highway peg onto the front frame rail (can't bend knee far enough to utilize oem peg on left side), and it works like a champ. I have put about 2k miles on it in a couple months and absolutely am thrilled to be able to get back into the curvy roads hard like the old days. I used to do trackdays and ride hard on the road, and being confined to cruisers for 8-9 years has been killing me.

So as you may know, the NC's parallel twin only has 51ish horsepower.....I ride with a good friend that has a 160 hp Ducati Multistrada, and while I can hang with him in the twisties, any sort of straight away in between, he leaves me (I hate not being able to keep up). I have been dogging this NC to the point of feeling sorry for it. LOL. Now the VFR1200X has caught my eye.

I have been drooling over this bike for about a month now, and really want one. I have found some good deals on cycle trader for leftover brand new 2017 models a long ways away from me, and would need to know for a fact that I could make a highway peg setup work on one of these like it does on my NC, before I post both my bikes for sale and start planning to purchase a VFR.

So with that said, do any of you have any pictures of how you mounted highway pegs to the 1200X on the left side? I think they could be hung off of aftermarket engine guards, because the frame for the VFR is not made like the NC, there is no exposed front frame rail in front of the engine to hang one off of....which would be ideal so that it keeps my foot closer to the bike and increases lean angle potential. But I wouldn't be against hanging one off an engine guard, or even custom fabbing something up to work if absolutely necessary. Only need a highway peg mounted on the left side.

I have done quite a bit of searching and really only found the one thread on here where one guy welded up a straight bar with rubber grips on the ends and mounted it in front of the engine to have highway pegs for both sides. Any other pics or helpful info on how you mounted highway pegs, or general chit chat surrounding the topic would be great!

Thanks,
    Josh

• Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    181

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
    Re: Potential VFR owner needs help! Amputee needs highway pegs!
    Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2019, 12.02 am
    Jun 27, 2019, 12.02 am
    I have not seen a lot of high pegs for this bike. But I did see a guy last weekend up in Spearfish SD using the SW Motech Crash bars and mounting some clamp on high pegs to that. Not sure how well they work I don't use them so I didn't ask.
    In The Barn
    2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

• Offline TacomaJD

• Topic Author

Offline TacomaJD

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2019, 12.26 am
    Jun 27, 2019, 12.26 am
    That's the kind of setup I would need. The highway peg I mounted on the NC is a chrome kuryakyn brand, sticks out like a sore thumb, but is functional for my needs and that's all that matters.

There's a dealer in Missouri that has a brand new leftover 2017 VFR1200X DCT for $11,250 out the door. That's nearly 500 miles away from me. Both my bikes are paid for, I could go up there and finance that VFR, sell both my bikes, and nearly pay off the VFR with that money. My gears are turning on making this work. I love my NC, it handles so well, just wish it had more power. That 51 hp is disappointing when trying to pass a car or keep up with other bikes on the highway.

• Offline Grabcon

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2019, 01.56 am
    Jun 27, 2019, 01.56 am
    I have a manually gear box on mine and I think it is a great no frills motorcycle. Everything I have read or talked with folks about on the DCT they all say they wouldn't go back to a manual.

You already have the DCT experience so moving on up to a bigger should be an easy step.

There are numerous crash bars available but not all are available in the US. SW Motech, the Honda OEM light bar and GIVI. I did try to get some out of europe but was not successful in getting them.

There is a learning curve to move it around and getting on and off especially if you have side bags. I use the BMW one foot one the peg and the leg up and over. Not sure how that would work for you since I use the leg left to get up and on.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
    In The Barn

• Offline TacomaJD

• Topic Author

Offline TacomaJD

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2019, 02.38 am
    Jun 27, 2019, 02.38 am
    Getting on and off should be no different than my NC700X, as it has near 33" seat height same as the VFR, and I have the oem Honda pannier kit on it as well. Plus, I just upgraded the seat with the Seat Concepts seat, which added about another inch to the seat height. I am 6'1" 225 lbs, bike fits me just fine all the way around. The VFR CT is very similar dimensionally, but with better suspension, more ergo features, and most importantly, mo' powah! 2.5 times as much powah!

I looked through different brands of engine guards for the VFR and looked like there were some that had bars that branched low enough to hang a kuryakyn highway peg off of. I don't care what the peg looks like, so long as it serves as a sturdy perch for the ole fake foot. Lol

My common sense is trying to talk me out of buying one, but my inner motorcycle enthusiast always seeking more performance says to do it! Lol. I doubt either of my current bikes will be fast sellers, so I am hesitant to jump on a VFR before selling one or both of my current bikes. Then on top of initial purchase price, I'd have to buy some bags for the VFR, because I've gotta have my storage....need to upgrade to some Michelin PR5's......more $$$$$. I wish a local dealer had one I could go look at in person. I've never seen one in the wild.

• Offline McVicar

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    66

Offline McVicar

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: 2013 Highlander
    • City / Town: Berrow, Somerset
    Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2019, 06.16 am
    Jun 27, 2019, 06.16 am
    Maybe check out the members map to see if anyone is nearby so you can have a look at their bike.

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2019, 04.52 pm
    Jun 27, 2019, 04.52 pm
    Hi there TacomaJD and  :400: along.
    Really sorry to hear of your predicament but hugely admiring of your determination to get back to onto two wheels.
    While not wishing to stir up any controversy I can definitely sympathise with you regarding the years you’ve spent on crusiers while your mate blast about on his Multistrada, your frustration levels must have gone stratospheric, I know mine would have done.
    I’m sure that with your level of grit and determination you will definitely find a solution to fitting a highway peg to a CT and then, boy will your Multistrada mate get a shock.
    As has been previously mentioned I’m sure a set of aftermarket crash bars will allow such an attachment to be added relatively easily.
    All the very best to you and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the CT once you’ve completed your purchase, as I’m sure you will do, as you’ve mentioned and experienced the DCT system offers you the perfect solution.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Grabcon

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2019, 01.23 pm
    Jun 28, 2019, 01.23 pm
    *Originally Posted by TacomaJD [+]
    My common sense is trying to talk me out of buying one,

Do we really have common sense when it comes to these things? :008:

These are great bikes and I am sure it will fit your needs well.
    In The Barn