Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Im done  (Read 1120 times)

Offline kissofdeath

• Crosstourer Member
Im done
« on: June 23, 2019, 01:12:36 PM »
after 14902 miles on the CT I've traded it in for a dl1000, loved the bike at first but started to niggle me especially when the front wheel bearings went at 18500 miles  :112:
so its back to the Vstrom forums for me
ride safe people  :821: :031:

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Im done
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
Fair enough,wheel bearings at that mileage is not good. 

Enjoy the Strom  :305:

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
  • After breathing everything else is a bonus
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
Good luck and the V-Strom is good value for money. Ride safe  :305:
Bill

Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: vfr1200X
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 10:32:05 AM »
Prior to having 2 CT's I had a new Vstrom 650, worst bike I've ever owned, vibrates to the point my hands would go numb within 20 miles, gutless, ABS kicks in way to early even on dry roads, seat is terrible, alloy finishes are poor especially the engine, like all Suzuki's obviously built to keep the price low. But it did do around 70 to the gallon.  :002:

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Member
  • Riding since 1968
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by mondeoman [+]
Prior to having 2 CT's I had a new Vstrom 650, worst bike I've ever owned, vibrates to the point my hands would go numb within 20 miles, gutless, ABS kicks in way to early even on dry roads, seat is terrible, alloy finishes are poor especially the engine, like all Suzuki's obviously built to keep the price low. But it did do around 70 to the gallon.  :002:

I owned a 2013 650 Adv for a few years, It was good for the price, the build quality was definitely on the low side and I had the same vibe issue as you at around 3-4000 rpm. My biggest issue was that it was a slug. It was probably not the bikes fault since it was carrying my 6'3" 240lb butt around, but on the highway, after 80mph it was all over. It was what I would consider a throwaway bike, ride the piss out of it then part it out. But saying all that a new off-year DL650 can be had for 5K if you shop around, not a bad value and they can be a lot of fun. 
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT Highlander
  • City / Town: Cardiff
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by kissofdeath [+]
after 14902 miles on the CT I've traded it in for a dl1000, loved the bike at first but started to niggle me especially when the front wheel bearings went at 18500 miles  :112:
so its back to the Vstrom forums for me
ride safe people  :821: :031:

Are you seriously expecting us to believe the Vstrom or any Suzuki bike is of a higher quality or has better corrosion resistance than a Honda? Sorry but the Vstrom is a tractor it's cheap but in the end you get what you pay for.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 02:15:52 PM »
Possibly a bit harsh Bampy, he’s probably basing his decision on HIS own experience.

Honda are supposed to be the front runner on build quality, however I’d say both my Yamaha XJR and FJR were better built. 

Many will say BMW have the edge, others think they’re garbage. All comes down to how you found a bike to be.

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
  • After breathing everything else is a bonus
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 03:11:58 PM »
 :0461: and he could have other reasons.
Bill