Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Disc Lock Damage  (Read 1706 times)

Offline PS1854

• Crosstourer Junior
Disc Lock Damage
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:58:51 PM »
Hi, Ive joined the forum for a bit of advice after taking a tumble on my manual 2018 CT which was as new with a tad over 5k in miles on the clock.

unfortunately, a few weeks ago i tried to ride away having left the front disc lock on. The bike flipped me on to the bars and we ended up in a heap on the floor, fracturing a couple of ribs and causing almost 6k worth of damage to the bike.

Damage includes, bent bars, front disc and hanger, scuffed engine casing and gouged metal from the shaft amongst other broken levers and plastics.

I'm going through the insurance who hopefully will put the bike back to as it was before the incident.

When the bike is put back together I would like to put some protection around the engine cases and on the shaft to protect it from a low/ no speed tip over.

As the bike is a manual I have looked at the R&G engine case covers and SW Motech crash bars but I can't find anything to protect the Shaftdrive

Does anyone know of any shaft protection or have protection fitted that might have protected my bike.

I would appreciate any advice and yes.... expect to get some Ribbing for being so stupid. ( Ins Premium and excess will bring this little drama to over 1k out of my own pocket so tears all around. )

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
Re: Disc Lock Damage
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 02:55:47 AM »
Don’t know of any, but you could put some panniers on the bike and they may prevent the deep fall on the rear side

Offline PS1854

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:35:45 AM »
Thank you for your kind suggestion. I did think about putting SW Motech evo carriers on the rear but removing them when not carrying luggage. I did see a photo on Pinterest of a CT with a protective cap over the end of the shaft looking similar to the R&G engine covers but unfortunately I couldn’t make out a manufacturer and the link was in Hungarian

Online oskar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XH
  • City / Town: Oviedo
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:10:02 PM »

Offline PS1854

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:26:16 PM »
Thank You Oskar,

Hopefully the bike will be repaired and the company ship to the uk.  The shaft protection and sliders look like the sort of things that would have saved the expensive damage to my bike.

Much appreciated Thank You. 

Paul

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 11:41:04 PM »
I’ll second those thanks to Oskar and this painful but informative thread by the OP. Always good to have choices, and that’s some of the beauty of our Crosstourers in it can be such a versatile platform.

Offline GlobalAdventurer

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Global Adventurer - Just get out and ride !
  • Bike: CTHighlander (M)
  • City / Town: Alsager
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 09:13:37 AM »
I feel your pain!
I did the same this summer on a trip to Scotland.
On the Isle of Skye and last cafe stop of the day before a three hour ride back to our base.
Wife put the disc lock on, I didn't notice.  More importantly, I failed to check when we got back and got back on the bike so completely my own foolish mistake.
Footpeg, clutch lever, left hand guard, gear shift pedal broken plus various scratches on top box, pannier, Drive Shaft casing and engine shroud.
Used an extension bar to increase the remaining clutch lever stub, swapped the right hand rear foot peg for front left and we hobbled back to base.
A long slow haul after a great day out.
Compared to your scenario, I think we got away lightly, but I was surprised at given the low speed that we came off, the amount of damage caused to what is supposed to be an "Adventure bike"  clearly savings have been made using cheaper quality metals and plastics.
£245 later, all fixed and back to square one.
Pulled the hamstring in the process which has taken three months to heal.
Disc lock now firm left in the garage for additional security at home.
Hope you are all sorted and back enjoying your ride.
Honda Crosstourer: Built for discovering

Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 07:10:10 AM »
Ouch... I almost done the same once, fortunately I was on gravel so the wheel slipped and I just kept it upright.
I have a coiled stretchy reminder cable that I hook over the front brake lever now. I also keep all my keys in a key wallet, so when I put the lock on I leave the disk lock key sticking out on it's own so it's the first key I use on my return.