Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Have Honda discontinued the Crosstourer ?  (Read 2222 times)

snod and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Re: Have Honda discontinued the Crosstourer ?
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Friday [+]
There is something about the CT that one keeps coming back to. The whole package is uncomplicated, high quality, and does what you tell it (once you know how). Because there’s no CANBUS or complex electronics, it’s really more versatile as a platform. Yes there are compromises—but every bike has them—and so far I haven’t found a better one. And all those others fade away fast when you are riding it or working on it. Great canvas and great partner.

:0461:, perfectly put Friday.  :028:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 08:06:41 PM »
I concur as well.  I miss the seat and the Ohlins  from my GS thats it!
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 10:29:02 PM »
I’m just coming towards the end of another tour on the CT, it’ll be around 2000 miles in a week, taking my bike up to around  23000 in 2 1/2 years.

I’ve been mulling over what to go for next.

Realistically whatever it is, is going to cost me my bike and another 10k, it’s there anything out there worth that?

With no updated CT on the cards I keep coming back to the same conclusion that the best option is to stick with what I’ve got.

Offline 5 speed

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 04:02:34 AM »
yeah well the industry is in a funk for sure.  Not surprised they discontinued it.  and plenty of left over stock.  It takes a discerning eye to find the beauty in this bike but it does many things well and smooth as hell.

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
In all honesty I had not even looked at these previously, they never hit my radar.  It was only when I truly started shopping I added it to the list for comparative purposes.  As I worked through my list I found reasons to eliminate everything else.  I was like I guess I need to try one.  I took a manual out then tried the DCT and was hooked.

My deciding preference is simply the fact it encourages a heavy hand.  The other bikes in this class felt too staid.  Fat old man bikes with lots of power, but not wanting to be flogged.  This thing seems to have that underlying sport bike "want to be flogged".  With all the utility of the fat old man bike.  I load it like a mule when I need to.

I lost a few features but in the end even knowing what I would upgrade, I felt I came out ahead.   :305:
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline Jarrett

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR/AT/NC700X
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2019, 06:29:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Plane Dr [+]
  This thing seems to have that underlying sport bike "want to be flogged".

It really does.  I just got back from 1200 miles on the twisty roads in NW Arkansas and this VFR1200X was begging for more.  Every turn it was just urging me to hit it a little harder than the last.  Prior to that, I did a track day on it and was impressed with what it could there and what it could keep up with.  I think of it as a sport bike in sheep's clothing.

Sure, I wish it had cruise control and some of the other creature comforts of the competitors, but at its core, its more of the bike that I like to ride.  Now if KTM released a 1290 Super Adventure S with DCT, I'd be like  :084:

Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT X
  • City / Town: Orpington
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2019, 10:58:33 PM »
I agree what’s bring Said I changed my springs and rear shock what a different the CT is very misunderstood bike but  I think Honda have made a big mistake not trying harder to keep it going it’s the importers I blame for a lack of sales who have no interest in the CT over all the CT offers a good package it just takes time to understand what’s on offer especially the V4 I am on 34-35000 no plans to replace the CT out of interest what adventure bike comes close to the over all package .

Offline BiKenG

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Mainly Hondas
  • City / Town: Chertsey
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 02:06:59 PM »
This is going to be a bit of a rant against Honda, but bear with me...

I've been a Honda fan for over 50 years and worked for many years at Honda UK (albeit some years ago) and I still feel a tremendous sense of loyalty to them and have believed in and trusted their engineering prowess for all that time, but I'm almost about to give up on them.

I still have and will continue to have several Hondas (including a VFR1200) and it saddens me immensely at how the mighty have fallen. The VFR1200 was much hyped when it arrived, but everyone (justifiably) thought it pretty ugly. However, instead of fixing that (so easy really), they did nothing to it for about 7 years, apart from some new colours. Then quietly dropped it claiming it would be too costly to fix for Euro 4. Well they fixed the CrossTourer which is the same engine, so that was basically a lie. It was just a convenient way to justify dropping a bike that didn't sell well. Hey, re-style it by someone who knows what they're doing and with a slightly larger tank and it would sell a whole lot better.

Now with Euro 5, it's goodbye CT. Another bike that promised much but was a bit mediocre when launched and still unchanged now, another almost 7 years later. While it obviously sold better than the F, sales are still not high enough to justify making it Euro 5 compliant. And whose fault is that.

Don't get me wrong, I actually do really like the CT and have been very close to buying one. While I was still not convinced I wanted an ADV I tested a CT and an R1200GS (water cooled) back to back. The BMW was a lovely bike to ride and had a lot going for it, but on balance, I knew I would have the CT. That gem of a V4 being a big factor in that decision.

But although having another VFR1200 already and some health issues put all that on the back burner, I am now actually wanting an ADV. Sill loving the CT, but I was intrigued by the new R1250GS with 'Shift Cam' and organised a test ride. Wow, what a bike. I'm afraid now there really is no contest. The new BMW is a stunning bike to ride and it's already sorted, with everything I want on it.

I am a big fan of Quickshifters, Cruise Control and heated bars/grips and hate flapping throttle cables (especially on a bike that is in fact Ride By Wire, i.e. the VFR1200). So I fixed all that on my VFR1200. But were I to choose the CT as my ADV bike, I'd have to do all that work all over again and I just don't think I love the CT enough to be bothered. Not when the new R1250GS comes with all that built-in. Plus Keyless ignition and you can alter the seat height. You can buy it with a lower seat. You can even order it with suspension especially lowered to suit a shorter rider. BMW have put a LOT of thought into the GS and it shows, whereas the CT rather smacks of being an afterthought. Honda did the bare minimum to call it an ADV and then forgot about it. It was almost enough back when it was introduced, but it is now so far behind the curve. While the Ducati MultiStrada makes as much or more power than the VFR1200F, Honda emasculated that engine when fitting it into the CT. I am well aware that max. power figures are pretty irrelevant, but it's not like the CT received a huge hike in torque output either. It's capable, but not outstanding like a 1200 V4 really ought to be.

If there was a new improved CT for 2020, I'd be very interested as it could be such a great bike. But unsurprisingly, there won't be. Instead there's BMW's R1250GS that quite frankly is an outstanding bike to ride, so it's something of a no brainer for me.

Having said that, an R1250GS is more expensive than a CT, especially used and that could well swing the balance. Also, there are a LOT of BMW GSs on the roads, whereas the CT is much more individual and rarer. But ignoring that and much as I wish it were not so, it's a sad fact that in this case, the BMW is by far the better bike.

However I still do like the CT and can feel the urge to have one. I just think it could be so much better.
You can't have too many bikes.

arab-exile