Author Topic: First 2-up Ride on the VFRX - CO/NM USA  (Read 1519 times)

• Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    142
    • Topic Author

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: '16 Black Manual
    • City / Town: Colorado
    First 2-up Ride on the VFRX - CO/NM USA
    on: May 28, 2019, 01.14 am
    May 28, 2019, 01.14 am
    I promised my perceptions and learning on the bike after this trip..... here it is.

Two days of riding and one to go. Day one was a learning curve, two up on a VFRX loaded to capacity.

Day one was 150 miles through the mountains and canyons. I had to learn the bikes behavior..... as did the wife. We weren`t very good dancing partners and the wife even said a couple of times.... "I don't like this bike." She said it felt too squishy and vague.... and it didn't feel like I (the driver) had firm control. She said she wanted the GS back. Understand.... we have done probably 25,000 miles, 2-up on many bikes.

Day 2 was 300 miles and we did much better. Except for the stock seat the wife said..... "I am really starting to like this bike."

Some observations:

* The rear spring on the shock is too soft, even with preload dialed completely up. But.... I had to install a stiffer spring on our GS.
    * Preload and rebound are going to have to be adjusted on front forks, every time we switch from solo to 2-up, just like the rear.
    * The Russell Saddle can't get here quick enough, but in fairness.... this is one of the better stock saddles we have experienced.
    * The bike is a spectacular canyon carver!!!! ...far better than the GS.
    * Love the 127 hp!
    * The bike has more cabin room than the GS or our KTM 950 ADV. Nice cause I'm 6'4 and she is 5'9.
    * On the dirt road bits... the suspension is a little harsh... It doesn't like washboard.  Funny, as it is a little squishy on pavement.  But the bike performed very nice, as I was able to run 40-60mph, without any out-of-control situations.

John

• Offline Big_John

• Topic Author

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: First 2-up Ride on the VFRX - CO/NM USA
    Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 01.18 am
    May 28, 2019, 01.18 am

Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 01.51 am by Big_John
    John

• Offline Big_John

• Topic Author

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 01.20 am
    May 28, 2019, 01.20 am

John

• Offline geirvmax

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    23

Offline geirvmax

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Honda VFR1200X D
    • City / Town: Long Island, NY
    Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 02.31 am
    May 28, 2019, 02.31 am
    Very beautiful photos! Have the same bike and there are many nice things about it, but the suspension has problems. Could you tell us about the windshield you have installed? Is it good? Does it work well with the adjuster?

• Offline Big_John

• Topic Author

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 02.49 pm
    May 28, 2019, 02.49 pm
    *Originally Posted by geirvmax [+]
    Very beautiful photos! Have the same bike and there are many nice things about it, but the suspension has problems. Could you tell us about the windshield you have installed? Is it good? Does it work well with the adjuster?

The windshield is the CalSci Large.  It made a HUGE, positive difference in my ride experience.  Love it.

With strong incoming wind, it won't adjust while riding very well.  I was able to adjust on the fly, as long as I am riding at 40mph or slower.  But I have found the magic location is one adjustment above the lowest setting and don't move it much at all.
    John

• Offline Big_John

• Topic Author

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 02.54 pm
    May 28, 2019, 02.54 pm
    *Originally Posted by geirvmax [+]
    .....but the suspension has problems. .....

Yeah, I have decided to address the suspension....  Loaded with 2-up, the bike was just horrible on the dirt roads.  It was way too harsh.  Washboard on the surface was maddening.... nearly like I was riding a bike with zero suspension.

I think I am going to purchase and install new springs.  I have the spring compressors for the rear shock, so can do the work myself.

Has anyone added the HyperPro springs to front and back and what is your opinion?  Is it worth the $300 for the new, progressive springs?

John

• Offline Big_John

• Topic Author

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2019, 04.52 am
    Jun 06, 2019, 04.52 am
    Yesterday was our wedding anniversary, but we both had to work.  Today was a day we could take off.... so we did.  We logged just short of 300 miles, with Guanella Pass in the mix.....  We still love the bike, but are eager to receive the HyperPro springs and get Russell to work their magic on the saddle.

John

arab-exile