Author Topic: Question about lowering the bike  (Read 2223 times)

• Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    73
    • Topic Author

Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Question about lowering the bike
    on: May 19, 2019, 05.39 pm
    May 19, 2019, 05.39 pm
    Also posted on FB

Ok, I completely don't get this: when lowering the rear suspension lets say by 25 mm using new link plates many guys raise the forks by much less than that. Why? It would seem that if you want to maintain the same geometry you would want to lower the front by the same amount as the rear in this case 25 mm. Since the forks are raked out a certain amount it would then mean the forks have to be raised more than the 25 mm which means in the case of the CT, 28 mm by my calculations. When I installed the plates on my bike and raised the forks by only 10 mm the bike would run wide in turns which made sense to me. When I raised the forks by 28 mm it went back to turning like it did before I lowered the rear. Am I missing something??

Marc
    Marc Parnes
    2018 Goldwing DCT Tour in Red
    2020 BMW R1200GS
    A Life of Bikes
    AMA Life Member

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: Question about lowering the bike
    Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 05.02 am
    May 20, 2019, 05.02 am
     :0461:

This is something that has occurred to me in the past to. I’ll be interested to know why people dont do the same both ends.

• Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    140

Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07.59 pm
    May 20, 2019, 07.59 pm
    I don't think people are actually raising the forks, they are dropping the front yoke , so the forks stick through it further, thus dropping the front end,
    you don't need to drop the front by the same amount because of the geometry of the bike,
    I dropped the back by 20mm and the front by 10mm, it was fine,

• Offline marcparnes

• Topic Author

Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 08.02 pm
    May 20, 2019, 08.02 pm
    *Originally Posted by superduper [+]
    I don't think people are actually raising the forks, they are dropping the front yoke , so the forks stick through it further, thus dropping the front end,
    you don't need to drop the front by the same amount because of the geometry of the bike,
    I dropped the back by 20mm and the front by 10mm, it was fine,
    Raising the forks and dropping the "yoke" are the same thing, just a different way of saying it. What in the geometry of the bike suggests to you that the front needs to be lowered less than the rear? That's the question.

Marc
    Marc Parnes
    2020 BMW R1200GS
    A Life of Bikes
    AMA Life Member

• Offline superduper

Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09.21 pm
    May 20, 2019, 09.21 pm
    marc
    I took advice of someone on here, but he told not to lower the front by more than 5mm (20mm rear) I lowered by 10mm,
    but logically I thought do them both the same,
    but when you fit 20mm lower link plates it really does change the feel of the bike, just when sitting on it it seemed really low.
    So I did some searches and less on the front seemed to be the way to go, having never lowered a bike before I took this advice, found the bike fine, I was happy with the way it rode, steered,
    there's loads of info out there about this and some on here,
    the downside for me was it was difficult to put on the centre stand when lowered

• Offline marcparnes

• Topic Author

Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 09.31 pm
    May 20, 2019, 09.31 pm
    I checked with RaceTech and they agreed that any time you lower the rear you have to lower the front an equal amount or you completely screw up the front end geometry notably, rake. The effect of this is that it makes the bike harder to initiate and hold a turn causing it to run wide. Its the same problem you run into when the rear has too little preload or compression damping and the bike squats when coming out of a corner and goes wide.

I'll tell you I'm having the worst time trying to get this bike lower. I bought a set of -25 mm plates from bikefarmmv.com in Germany. It took almost a month for them to get here and the damn things don't work. It came without instructions or any markings on the parts themselves. Since the shock hole is smaller there are only two ways to mount them. One way drops the rear end 4 mm and mounting them the other way drops it 44 mm. I've emailed back and forth with the guy who sold them and he isn't helpful at all. I don't know what to do now. What brand did you get? How low did you go? Is there any chance of getting a pic of them mounted so I can compare? I spent the entire day screwing with this and got nowhere. Any help is really appreciated.

Marc
    Marc Parnes
    2020 BMW R1200GS
    A Life of Bikes
    AMA Life Member

• Offline superduper

Offline superduper

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 10.27 pm
    May 20, 2019, 10.27 pm
    I read that on racetech, but the CT is not a race bike and it has very soft standard suspension, mine was fine and handled great for  a big bike,

this is what I fitted

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR-1200-X-Crosstourer-20mm-lowering-link-drop-kit-Guaranteed-for-life/352296596319?epid=10008941634&hash=item520683735f:g:1YgAAMXQLNpQ7Gc5&frcectupt=true

infact I still have them somewhere as I sold the bike
    I do not have any close up pictures of the fitted but I do have pics of the bike if thats any help?

• Offline marcparnes

• Topic Author

Offline marcparnes

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 10.41 pm
    May 20, 2019, 10.41 pm
    That's funny as I was just now looking at those exact plates. I wanted to go 25 mm but it seems like most of them are either 20, 30 or 35 and more than 25 I think is going to be problematic with clearance. Would you think about selling them to me if you could find them? I'd sure like to get this problem over with so I can ride the damn bike. I had a Russell seat made and that made it even worse!

Marc
    Marc Parnes
    2020 BMW R1200GS
    A Life of Bikes
    AMA Life Member

arab-exile