Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honda VFR1200X Fairing Wind Deflector  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
Re: Honda VFR1200X Fairing Wind Deflector
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 10:44:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Friday [+]
Post your eval after you've gotten a few rides in varied weather conditions. Since most of us who've posted endorse them, I'd be curious to know what you think.

I've ridden in rain twice and these.....   were a waste of money.

Thank God they were only $50.

I would not purchase again.

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »
I wonder, John, about your rides in the rain where you found the deflectors useless.

My guess is that for those who have been endorsing Honda's optional fairing deflectors, it is that we have generally used them on the slab/interstates/large high-speed motorways where average speed and direction of the bike were held fairly consistent and fairly high, so the "quiet air bubble" of the whole bike is enlarged and held constant (like a teardrop-shaped balloon encircling the bike that is not allowed to deflate or get twisted).  (Next time you're on the slab in the rain in the daytime, look at the semis across the divider --coming towards you from the opposite direction at high speed -- we can see their entire teardrop of quiet air surrounding them, as the raindrops make the bubble's perimeter visible (invisible in dry conditions).

Envisioning the CT's high-speed quiet air bubble, the waist of the bike is a bit narrow, so the fairing deflectors widen the teardrop just enough before the bike's waist that the perimeter of the balloon doesn't close in on the outer edge of the knees/thighs. I remember riding the bike in dry 40 degrees Fahrenheit before the deflectors and after adding them -- the groin area much cooler before the deflectors were added. On the flip side, it's not as cool on hot days.

Take it a step further and vary the bike's speed a lot -- on twisty road or a rolling secondary. The bubble inflates and deflates, that's my guess, with increased variation in the speed of the bike. Then lean the bike back and forth in curves -- the bubble gets compressed on the lowside of the bike, and may not have time to de-compress/reinflate if the bike's profile is flopping back and forth with curve-straight-curve or S-curves.

I have noticed in those more variable speed / curving conditions, (country roads in the hills) I'm not kept as dry on the bike as when I'm riding the slab in the rain. And I've noticed getting wet on slower roads or twistier roads with fully-faired bikes known for great weather protection, like an RT.  The only bike that I've ever ridden in slow and/or twisty conditions and kept immensely dry is a GTL -- and those things have massive fairings and all of BMW's engineering expertise supporting their design.

Just some thoughts (and what some may say is B/S)  . . . I only play an aerodynamics engineer on TV.

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 01:46:12 PM »
 :0461:

Bottom line...they do work...but within the scope of their design...which isn't to keep the rider completely dry.

I've noticed that riders do get wet when they ride a motorcycle in the rain for very long.  Go figure.   :138:

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 02:20:12 PM »
My concern with them was that in expanding the low pressure area.  It would be hotter in the summer.  I have really noticed the air flow management riding the VFR.  I've never had a bike before where the back of my legs were hotter than the front or inside edge.  I actually push my legs out to help move air behind them.
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 11:28:13 PM »
I am sure these things do a little good, but in all my situations.... half my legs were completely soaked.  Thank God my pants are Gortex. 

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 01:18:32 AM »
One bike, many different experiences — God works in mysterious ways.