Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: engine knocking sound under accelleration  (Read 404 times)

Offline whiteakita

• Crosstourer Member
engine knocking sound under accelleration
« on: May 14, 2019, 10:21:36 AM »
hi all, my 2014 dct has a LOUD knocking sound under acceleration that starts about 3000rpm.
it sounds like detonation, like there is a small ball bearing on top of the piston !
i was thinking possibly the cam chain tension but it does not display any cam chain characteristics, just a similar noise.
it makes zero noise/ticking/clacking on cold/hot start like a cam chain problem would.
it doesnt matter if the bike is cold or hot it always makes that noise.
its very loud, probably louder than my exhaust !
the drive shaft has had its recall done according to honda.
i cant hear the noise when stationary and i rev the bike up, the only time i can hear it is when accelerating, the final drive oil has just been changed it made the noise before i changed the oil too.
i have read that some people have VERY loud airbox roar, could it be that ?
any ideas what it could be ?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:50:34 AM by whiteakita »

Offline biker1300

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Is it the weekend yet
  • Bike: dct highlander
Re: engine knocking sound under accelleration
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 05:57:45 PM »
I would be tempted to take the drive shaft out and have a good look at it   also grease the splines when putting it back   

Offline whiteakita

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 06:08:00 PM »
im pretty sure the noise is coming from the top of the engine area.
i have lifted the tank to see if anything is loose which it is not.
it sounds like a little end bearing is worn out ! but stationary it sounds perfect.
i think im just going to have to live with it tbh and put it down to a characteristic of my engine .

Offline Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »
I'll ask the obvious because you sort of hinted it but didn't rule it out, what petrol are you using? This is a pretty high compression ratio engine (12/1 from memory) and high octane is recommended. Are you using cheapo petrol? I use only shell optimax or proper Esso/BP if I cant get it easily. 'Pinking' as I know it won't show itself at idle but when you load the engine out on the road. Just a thought?

Offline whiteakita

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 06:02:23 PM »
i use regular petrol which was always good enough for all my other bikes including a super duke gt, tuono v4, s1000xr ect ect so i highly doubt its fuel.

Online mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 12:12:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by whiteakita [+]
i use regular petrol which was always good enough for all my other bikes including a super duke gt, tuono v4, s1000xr ect ect so i highly doubt its fuel.

Interesting.  The 2016 US model is labeled for 92 octane.  I do believe the ECU is programmed for premium in the 16. 

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »
95 for the CT, 98 is premium in U.K.

Offline Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 11:57:40 AM »
Hi whiteakita. Its irrelevant what other bikes you have had, your issue is with this one. For the sake of probably no more than 2 quid extra why not fill up with decent quality high octane petrol just to see. If it makes no difference well at least you know? You invited suggestions, if you don't try then guess what. It won't change. Sometimes it can be the most simple of things. Last year the indicators on my old landrover stopped working for no apparent reason. Checked everything over and assumed it must be the indicator itself. Ordered one, took the dash apart, steering wheel off, wires everywhere. Hot and sweaty job on a hot day. Put it all back. Still not working. Took it all apart again. Couldn't find anything. Wiring diagram out, much head scratching. Put it back together for a second time. Really fed up by now. What was it? Well. Despite all the fuses being fine there was the tinyest bit of crap/corrosion one of the terminals that i scratched off with the screwdriver end. They Blinked straight into life. I was pleased but also annoyed at myself because i had wasted money, time and effort on a fault that didn't exist. Just saying......

arab-exile