Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: oil filter...  (Read 717 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online mzflorida

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 150
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
  • Country: United States
Re: oil filter...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Big_John [+]
I've always been a fan of Bosch.  I opted for the filter that is a big larger in capacity and more filter material.




I have no idea if what follows is even close to accurate, John.   Frankly, I never would have thought of it.  There was a thread on advrider.com that referenced the use of a larger oil filter.  The concern was that the extended filter would place the end of the filter too close to the exhaust and heat the oil in a way that could result in engine damage ( change viscosity, break down oil I presume).  No idea if that is even close to being true...so it is a statement as well as a question. 

Offline DEMBONES

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 423
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
  • Country: USA
Re: oil filter...
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
I have no idea if what follows is even close to accurate, John.   Frankly, I never would have thought of it.  There was a thread on advrider.com that referenced the use of a larger oil filter.  The concern was that the extended filter would place the end of the filter too close to the exhaust and heat the oil in a way that could result in engine damage ( change viscosity, break down oil I presume).  No idea if that is even close to being true...so it is a statement as well as a question.

I wouldn't risk it (or other issues with the wrong size filter.)  The stock filter works and fits great and can be found on sale online with a little effort if $$ is the concern.

Offline Big_John

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 42
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
  • Country: Colorado, USA
Re: oil filter...
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 02:55:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
I wouldn't risk it (or other issues with the wrong size filter.)  The stock filter works and fits great and can be found on sale online with a little effort if $$ is the concern.


I understand your feelings.  I use to drink the OEM Kool-aid.  When one starts to pay attention to those riders that are truly getting a quarter million miles on a bike, it is never with OEM parts or fluids.  ST Filters from WalMart and $11 a gallon Rotella are incredibly common with long mileage riders.  (And before anyone craps on the ST filters.... they are made by Champion, the same company that makes the Mobil 1 and Bosch filters.)

Now here is reality....  That 3323 filter won't fit on our bike.  The filter is too long and wont fit behind the plastic molding, metal bracket mount.  The proper Bosch filter is the 3300.


Offline Superjeap

  • Crosstourer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 271
  • Why not
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • Country: Netherlands
Re: oil filter...
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 01:50:50 PM »
NEVER with OEM parts??? This sounds like bullsiht to me, or exaggerated.
As far as I can say, as a motorbikestore employee in my countryit is somewhat the other way.
There is a difference between old bikes with a lot of miles and riders (commuters) that do a lot of miles a year.
The first category is often self maintained with (crappy) non OEM parts including duct tape and tie-wraps, the second group is most of the times dealer maintained with OEM parts.
Perhaps ask LP if he ever uses Supermarket oil (here:003:

But we were discussing oil filters here, Honda filter will cost ~€10, and for instance K&N is about €6,-.
For me it does not make sense to buy the cheap one. Yes it can be the same factory/brand that is making the OEM parts, but without the Honda quality check. Only OEM parts will give guaranties like fitting and durability.
<-- Check!

Honda VFR1200XD - XR400R - the Dutch gather Here

Offline Big_John

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 42
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
  • Country: Colorado, USA
Re: oil filter...
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 10:45:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Superjeap [+]
NEVER with OEM parts??? ....... or exaggerated.


Definitely exaggeration on my part, because I haven't personally polled every rider out there.  What I can say is there are a lot of them that follow real science and UOA's....

Everyone is always making a good decision to buy an OEM filter.  Sites like CalSci with there scientific approach to filter evaluation are worth listening to and those are good decisions as well.


.........

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:49:14 PM by Big_John »

Offline Showkey

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 34
  • Country: US
Re: oil filter...
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 12:46:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Big_John [+]

 (And before anyone craps on the ST filters.... they are made by Champion, the same company that makes the Mobil 1 and Bosch filters.)

This has been debated on every vehicle and mechanical forum..........

Batteries and filters are likely the best examples of items that might be produced in the same factory .......but..........the specifications, components  and built quality would be completely different.

Batteries with less plates and less acid.
Filters with different media both quality and quantity, different seals, different glue.

First rule.......Discount  parts are built to price point.  Some completely acceptable other not so much.

Offline Big_John

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 42
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
  • Country: Colorado, USA
Re: oil filter...
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 01:24:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Showkey [+]
This has been debated on every vehicle and mechanical forum..........

Batteries and filters are likely the best examples of items that might be produced in the same factory .......but..........the specifications, components  and built quality would be completely different.

Batteries with less plates and less acid.
Filters with different media both quality and quantity, different seals, different glue.

First rule.......Discount  parts are built to price point.  Some completely acceptable other not so much.


As I keep saying... read the science, not some yahoo's on a forum.  Most important in a filter is the filter material.   Read the report from CalSci.



............   

Offline zphenyl

  • Crosstourer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 22
  • Country: USA
Re: oil filter...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 03:18:20 AM »
Definitely a lot of good info on the CalSci website.  Now if I can just get through my leftover Yamaha oil filter from the Super Tenere  :164: