Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A Manual Process  (Read 458 times)

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
A Manual Process
« on: May 02, 2019, 03:24:59 AM »
Coming into this favorite site the other day, my usual eagerness misguided final approach. The price for this “fat finger error” was diversion to Registration Agreement page where two full screens of verbiage prefaced an entreaty to provide my informed consent. Oh, No — Not Again!

Although I was full of the stereotypical Head of Steam I allowed a few moments of caress over my chosen device, through whose smooth glassy screen appeared The Terms and Conditions. It was an undulating ride throughout, for each time the substance approached anything climactic it then pulsed away. Such a tease.

There are limits to what I can say here and, like Las Vegas, the terms and conditions of this Forum requires that lascivious and other detail be left behind. The very first sentence of your and my Registration Agreement demand us, in flagrante delicto, to be discreet.

Presumably this is a tenet for all we owners and fans of the mighty Honda Crosstourer. For in their benevolent tyranny the owners of this Forum stipulate to ban any content “in violation of any EU, International, or United States Federal law”, apparently of the imperial judgment that CT followers view themselves as global citizens. Brexit Bedamned. And the American (or French) (or Russian) (or [fill in the blank]) Revolution — fuhgetaboudit.

But I digress into things political. Let’s get back to the visceral.

Our Forum’s enforced discretion — abhorrent to lovers of the First Amendment to the Constitution of the upstart United States of America — is encouraged by tattletale. Our Registration Agreement states: “The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary.”

The tattletale’s ejaculate, however, will fortunately spill premature. For our Agreement goes on to provide: “As this is a manual process you accept that it may not be possible to remove or edit particular messages immediately.”

Nicely demonstrating how manual processes do allow things to slip and slide. Left hand lever users on this Forum clearly appreciate the nuances, benefits and varied frictions that can be achieved by letting out sometimes, and then pulling back in. Over and over. Sometimes needs a little lube somewhere, or a minor adjustment; occasionally there’s burnout and time-consuming, costly, replacement.

Yes, within this Forum our opportunity to give-and-take is, indeed, dulcified by the wise owner’s manual process. Somebody might get abusive, but the terms of manual process safeguard that immediate gratification shall not be guaranteed the sadist.

Strangely enough, one could tattletale on one’s self. Post something, then later tell the owners of the Forum that you object to the very thing you previously posted.

This is very troubling. For if I were to screw on Freud’s thinking cap and harken back to the analogy games of upper level exams, engagement is to sadism as narcissism is to masochism.

Yet here again the Forum’s manual process is triumphant. Don’t think, sicko, that retraction to pacify your whining is gonna happen right away. Nope. Instant gratification of the masochist is denied, too.

So maybe being a global citizen isn’t always so bad. Without Soichiro Honda — would we even be here?

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
  • After breathing everything else is a bonus
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
Re: A Manual Process
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 06:24:10 AM »
Even for the trained eye this summary of our 'Terms & conditions' needs a methodical, analytical, dissection of the said material.  :084: before one can appreciate the humour.  :008: . In simple terms does it not imply 'Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools' ?
Bill

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 03:05:30 PM »
 :047: Brilliant Friday.  :046:
Once again your literation, annunciation and huge vocabulary, along with your skilful use of the English language is both fascinating and humorous, keep “em” coming my friend.  :028:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 03:47:15 AM »
"Bah," the DCT Owner within me coughs. "Anachronistic Piffle."