Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5s, mileage and opinions?  (Read 4000 times)

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Re: Michelin Road 5s, mileage and opinions?
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 12:37:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
I will be interested what sort of mileage folks get

The PR4 lasted not much more than 4k

Argh...4K miles just isn't enough for expensive, premium rubber to last!!   :157: :232:

Offline Showkey

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
Argh...4K miles just isn't enough for expensive, premium rubber to last!!   :157: :232:

Just remember tire wear, brake wear, clutch wear and MPG are directly related to the riders use and habits.   So one out lying data point does not make a trend or confirmation of a tire’s  life expectancy.

Said more than once:
Some guys use tire and brake wear as a badge of courage. :305:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:54:22 PM by Showkey »

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
If they don’t last more than 4K I’ll not be getting them again.

Very true Showkey, that’s why I asked what mileage people got from other tyres they’ve used.
If someone got 5k from a set of Anakees I’d know they ride “harder” than me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:01:02 PM by Hartley »

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2019, 08:50:53 PM »
I got 6K out of the stockers and 6K out of my first set of 4's.  Not enough for me.  I was hoping 5's would be better.

I got 10K+ out of the Metzeler Tourance (originals) through 3 bikes and several sets each.  It was nice having several bikes that took the same rubber.  They were never bad, till the end, and they howled there whole life.  I had hoped for more out of PR's.  Not sure I'll try the 5's.  Might be time to try the Annakee's? 
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 08:59:17 PM »
Got my ROAD 5 TRAILS fitted today. Hunts motorcycles in Manchester at total cost of £279.00
Had PR 4 Trails before these and done 8k miles and still went through MOT without advisory, but back was squaring off and decided to change before the summer begins.

Offline Rushy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT H'landerCamo
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2019, 11:58:47 PM »
Mileage travelled by different riders before tyres replaced  is not an accurate measure of expected tyre wear / longevity and I’m not talking just about various riding styles either .  A lot of it is down to different opinions on when a tyre is worn . Some riders will replace a tyre early because they appreciate that a wearing tyre spoils the enjoyment , others will get every last bit of wear out of a tyre because they don’t like paying for a new set. Some will replace early as they have a big trip coming up and they are concerned that a worn tyre will spoil the trip or not last the whole trip.

I used to use my previous bikes for commuting too and used to get every last bit of wear I could before I changed tyres. I would then marvel at how much nicer the bike was to ride when I fitted new boots and then give myself a hard time for not doing it sooner. Nowadays I ride much less and replace them when I feel they are past their best. I put the 5s on even though I could easily have got another 1k to 1.5k out of the Evos but I was due to do a 1k trip to Scotland and wanted fresh rubber for the trip. The trip never happened in the end :(

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 01:03:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Plane Dr [+]
I got 6K out of the stockers and 6K out of my first set of 4's.  Not enough for me.  I was hoping 5's would be better.

I got 10K+ out of the Metzeler Tourance (originals) through 3 bikes and several sets each.  It was nice having several bikes that took the same rubber.  They were never bad, till the end, and they howled there whole life.  I had hoped for more out of PR's.  Not sure I'll try the 5's.  Might be time to try the Annakee's?

I'm down to 3/32's with only 3K miles on a pair of Conti Road Attacks.  Crap longevity!!!   :232:

Offline GA VFR

• Crosstourer Member
  • GA VFR
  • Bike: too many
  • City / Town: Alpharetta, GA
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 03:21:02 AM »
Riding style!  You have to check the air pressure every time you ride!  I used to get 8k out of a set tires on my CB 1000 by being disciplined
Follow your front wheel

arab-exile