Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear brake fail  (Read 986 times)

Offline Rex

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Rear brake fail
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »
So? Did they fixed it?

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 04:34:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
Why specify that yours is a DCT model?  Are you implying that the auto trans might in some way be to blame?   :086:

It is all the more important issue with DCT because you can’t feather clutch to easily pull bike away from stop on an incline without rollback as you can with a manual. Rear brake hold is 100% consistent way to hold and ease off that as throttle is twisted to get a smooth pull out without roll back. (Throttle twist and front release is harder to pull off smoothly if a sudden distraction, like a wild driver or monster blast of rain). In a place with lots of stops and starts and steep inclines (some old harbor towns), rear brake hold is an easy way to keep relaxed and safe.

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »
Sorry folks, I should have updated.
Took the bike to the dealer who stripped it down, rebuilt it and road tested it. There was some grit getting in the way of things but once that was removed it was declared ‘good for that model’.
It’s ok now although the BMW R1100RS from 2000 has much better rear braking, I think the difference between the two was sufficient to alarm me.
I suspect I’ll be asking about rear brake upgrades in the future.
Oh, it was all done under the warranty.