Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Crosstourer RTW  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
Re: Crosstourer RTW
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 06:28:00 AM »
They definitely are an enduring icon. From Stalin all the way to present . . . . https://images.app.goo.gl/9EQgSMUCtHcUena76

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2017 CT DCT
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
Yes they are, and I think it’s taken a while to shake of the dodgy reputation that was earned during the Soviet era.

Things appear to be improving. They’re now using Sachs suspension and Brembo brakes, but from what I gather the thing that’s really changed is customer service, and backup when something does go wrong.

Let’s just hope with such low production and sales, they can stay viable.

Muzza

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 11:20:38 PM »
Yes, fingers crossed for Ural.  Really tough for these small brands. Recently in the US we had MOTUS close it’s doors for lack of sustainable economics — IDK if you ever saw a MOTUS, but they were beautiful bikes, amazing engines (V-4, being a cut down of Chevy small block V-8), and by all measures great riding machines. There are a few new ones left in the States at good prices, but orphaned on support and some parts that can’t be sourced without a bit of modification.

MV Augusta also a question mark. And who knows what Piaggio will do with Moto Guzzi given that all the traditional technology (like our beloved Honda big block VFR engines) cannot get next-wave Euro compliant.

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 01:24:15 AM »
Greetings from Lake Baikal.

From here we head down into Mongolia, and in preparation, fitted our ‘dirt tyres’ in Irkutsk.
While we had the wheels off, I decided to dump the oil. Even managed to find a screw on filter.
Bike is outstanding for this type of work. Love the massive torque and the DCT.  :028:

Big Red is absolutely filthy from riding the Trans Siberia. Now let’s see if she is tolerable on dirt roads.

See more at www.motoaddict.nz

Muzza

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2019, 04:53:01 PM »
Greetings from Mongolia,

Our trip down the road from the Russian Mongolian border was chaotic, to put it mildly.
The capital, Ulaanbaatar, has 1.5 million residents, and is a mixture of high rise soviet apartments, small houses and traditional Gers. The city and surrounding area are very polluted. The air, because of cheap brown coal fired electricity plants, and their is domestic rubbish piled in the streets, and plastic and other trash littering the roadside, everywhere we go. They just don’t seem to notice.

Big Red is performing well. Gave her a check over today, she’s been bouncing through a lot of potholes and working hard on gravel and dirt roads. Checked the spokes, and the air filter, no issues.

German buddies BMW has not faired so well, a clogged air cleaner and has fuel pump issues, we will attempt to bodge a fix.

Read more at www.motoaddict.nz

Cheers Muzza

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
That sucks about the air filter and pump.  It is really unfortunate that the environment is so bad over there.  I am not a tree hugger per se, but really appreciate the conservation efforts in our respective countries.  Not sure we will live to fully realize the impacts we are creating but I bet our kids will.  Anyhow, still sounds like generally, things are going well for you!  Appreciate the updates. 

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »
The pic above is of the BMW filter btw. Mr Honda wisely fitted a large paper filter to the CrossTourer, and located the air inlets in a sensible place. My filter was quite clean, and just required a gentle tap to shake a few bugs out.

Cheers
Muzza

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 08:52:26 PM »
Really enjoying the blog, a great read.
As to the GS, I certainly know which one I’d pick to travel round the world and it most certainly wouldn’t have been built in Germany....!  :151:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

arab-exile