Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Crosstourer RTW  (Read 1622 times)

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Crosstourer RTW
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 07:25:43 AM »
I agree the CT wouldn’t be the first choice of many for this trip but Nick Sanders has ridden around the world on an R1 and Teapotone used a GSXR1000.

You could be the first to do it on a CT and there’s a fair chance you’ll do it without seeing another one  :008:

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 09:42:59 AM »
This sounds awesome! What mods do you have on the bike? And what suspension? I’m thinking you’ll need something a bit beefier than the OEM on the rear at least.

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2017 CT DCT
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »
I’ve been quite happy with the stock suspenders. Wifey and I rode 22,000km round Europe, loaded, last summer. I adjusted the front as per Vijay’s recommendations on this site, and wound up the preload on the rear.
I’ve never been one to really notice a great difference from suspension mods. So long as it’s comfy, isn’t bottoming out, or riding like a pogo stick, I’m happy. :152:
Maybe it’s because I’m used to riding old Gs bikes, but the CT feels fine to me.

Farkles include:

Replacement seat, Mmoto engine protection bars, Hepco and Becker sump guard, rad guard, Knight Design lowered pegs, Touratech racks and cases, Bagster tank cover and tank bag, SW Motech Alu system rear rack and a roll bag.

Tyres are Mitas E07, and Conti TKC 80 for Mongolia.

Muzza

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 11:24:55 AM »
Like everyone else, I applaud your adventurous trip plans and wish you both safe and fulfilling travels!   :031:

BUT...I have to ask why you normally keep your CT in Switzerland if you live in New Zealand?!   :005:  That's a long commute to ride your bike.   :008: 

Do you have a m/c in NZ as well?

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 11:56:26 AM »
Thanks DEMBONES,
Yes, I have motorcycles in NZ. I’m a fan of the Gs1150 oilhead. I have few of them, one even has a sidecar. Nice and simple for my feeble old brain, when it comes to servicing and repairs :028:
I have others too. A favourite is an Enfield Bullet Diesel! One day I would like to take her on a long overland journey! Apparently 1300 km for a tank of diesel, but I’ve only managed just over 1000 km. My throttle hand must be too heavy! :008:

I’ve been riding for many years, from 9 years old actually, and NZ is not very large. I’ve seen it many times.
So, I must look further afield. I also keep a GS across the ditch (Australia) and enjoy time riding and camping in the outback.

Europe has so much to offer. So many directions can be taken from Zurich, and Wifey enjoys the culture and history.
She studies languages for fun (strange girl is Wifey) and enjoys using the languages she has learnt.
While I’m away riding, she will be attending language school in Lindau Germany, and maybe fly to visit me once or twice, if she gets lonely :169: She thinks St Petersburg might be nice. We will see.

I used be belong to Bike Share, maybe you’ve heard of it, and swapped bikes with others around the world. That worked out good, but can be a little restricting, so after renting a couple of times in Europe, realized it made more sense to own a bike there.

That’s where my buddy helped me out. Gave me an address I could register it to. Even put my name on his letterbox to give it legitimacy :152: there’s that German thing going on again. :211:
Anyway I’m just grateful for his assistance, and I do the same for foreign riders in NZ.

Muzza
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:13:39 PM by Mspeirs »

Online mick9879

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 08:42:42 PM »
Outstanding.....................and I thought my treks to Spain from the UK were an adventure, nothing on this. Good Luck.  :031:

Mick.

Offline smalle10

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Soon Crosstourer
  • City / Town: NYBORG
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 09:19:30 AM »
Hi Muzza.

Are you going through Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan ? some of the most gorgeous videos in YouTube are from Pamir Highway and Wakhan Valley.

Save trip and please post pictures.

Offline Mspeirs

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2019, 09:56:30 AM »
 Hi Smalle10,

Not on this trip. Plan is to head north and take our first break in St Petersburg.

I do wish to ride the Pamir at some stage, but not on this trip and most likely not on this bike.

Muzza