Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Strange electrical fault  (Read 429 times)

Offline moony54

• Crosstourer Junior
Strange electrical fault
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »
Sorry asking for help in my first post but I,ve only just got my CT and now I,ve got a major problem.

Turning the ignition on give me no dash lights at all and the low beam headlight with a feint glow ( the battery is new & fully charged), disconnecting the low beam bulb then gives me power to the dash etc but pressing the start button kills the dash power, if I switch to high beam it also kills the power to the dash.

When I do have power to the dash there seems to be a couple of relays under the left rear cowling that are clicking on and off constantly.

I am lost as where to start, any help to get me going again would be much appreciated. TIA

Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: vfr1200X
Re: Strange electrical fault
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 10:53:51 AM »
That's one for a Honda main dealers diagnostics  :087:

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
  • After breathing everything else is a bonus
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by mondeoman [+]
That's one for a Honda main dealers diagnostics  :087:
Definitely -  requires auto electrician or person with those skills to find the problem.
Bill

Offline biker1300

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Is it the weekend yet
  • Bike: dct highlander
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 05:32:22 PM »
Why is the battery new ?      possible poor earth

Offline moony54

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 12:42:29 AM »
Not had a lot of time to look into this over the last few days but not cured it yet. When I turn the ignition on the dash doesn't,t power up and the low beam bulb has a feint glow to it, however, if I push the start button and hold it on the low beam goes off ( as the start button disables the lights) and the dash lights up!!, equally if I remove the connector from the low beam bulb it powers up the dash........I've change the bulb just to eliminate it and also checked out the wiring to the headlights (only 3 wires ) and they all test out fine ( I have also tested the lighting wiring with a direct connection with a battery and all work fine).

I have checked the 2 points on the frame ( front left and rear of tank) where there at multiple ground wires bolted to the frame and the direct to frame from the battery, are there any I'm missing?, looking at a wiring diagram it appears to show a "junction" where a number of black/white ground wires are linked but I can't find it on the bike.

Thought anyone???.

TIA

Online Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
  • City / Town: Swords
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 06:10:04 PM »
Is it possible the bulb is the wrong one? I bought a brake light bulb from shop before for a car. They gave me a double filament bulb when it should have been a single filament. (ie. brake light only, not brake and driving light in one bulb) It made all sorts of crazy stuff happen, one of the headlights would come on when I put car in reverse etc.. Anyway its just a thought!

Online nick marshall

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 10:06:46 PM »
Had to check your posts to find out it’s a 2014 bike.
This info should be in your post.

How long have you owned the bike?
Dealer or private sale?
What make battery?
Has it been recently jet washed?
Does it have an alarm fitted?

That might help us to help you.