Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: US owners, Guhl ECU reflash  (Read 2104 times)

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
Re: US owners, Guhl ECU reflash
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 06:46:13 PM »
Clifton, I guess I am at a loss at what you are trying to fix. Adjust your throttle cables to have almost no slack should help tremendously with the throttle. Although this bike has throttle by wire the restat is operated by the push pull throttle cables. And for the speedo if you are running factory size tire the speedo should be dead nuts with a GPS. Mine is a 2016 VFR1200X manual and I don't have issues with either throttle or speedo.

I have run a Speedo Healer on my wife's 2008 VFR800 and on my 2008 ST1300 and that resolved the issues on them for speedo correction. But with that done the odometer was off. The Speedo Healer comes off the crank sensor and you make adjustments based on plus/minus % difference.

Oddly enough a properly adjusted suspension will help with the hand movement on the throttle too. loose hands help too.
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

Offline Clifton

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 07:22:55 PM »
OK Grabcon I'm away (on sort of a vacation, as opposed to a real vaca with a motorcycle  :008:) but I'll remove most of the slack as well as run it with a GPS to see how optimistic the speedometer is when I return. I'll also soften up the front preload and maybe damping as well.
Just given my experience driving/riding a section of Interstate in traffic with frequency my *hunch* is at an indicated 80 mph I'm going around 73 or 74 mph. And this is on new stock tires.
A previous motorcycle (FJ-09) had a similar abrupt throttle which was maybe even more annoying and removing cable slack didn't help much if any. However having the ECM refreshed by TWD helped immensely.
No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 10:51:21 PM »
I adjust my throttle cables with the bike idling. As soon as the idil rises I back the adjustment off a 1/8 to 1/4 turn and lock it. The suspension front and rear start at what the owners manual states as a baseline and go from there.
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Why not
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 08:58:00 PM »
I've send several emails to Guhl, they never answered, so I will not send my money to those guys.
One other thing in general: chip-tuning cars is very easy and done a lot, but there are also al lot of problems to return to the tuning.
Manufacturers stay on the safe side, worn wise, but you will never know when you have passed the "save-zone".
<-- Check!

Honda VFR1200XD - XR400R - the Dutch gather Here

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Member
  • Riding since 1968
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
He gets thousands of e mails, typically getting a response is rare. If you call him he will talk to you, he will talk your ear off. I think I am going to try the booster plug before a reflash. I have removed all of the slack from my cables and in hot weather I still get some throttle snatch. In cold weather it completely goes away and is as smooth as glass. I suspect in the hot weather it is leaning out too much causing the abrupt snatchy throttle. The booster plug tracks the air intake sensor into thinking its 10 degrees colder unless you are at steady interstate speeds so it may work. I will try it and post the results, I have seen some good feedback on the boosterplug. 
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Offline smalle10

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Soon Crosstourer
  • City / Town: NYBORG
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »
I hope the Boosterplug will work on the Crosstourer 2016-2018.

Per

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 10:28:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by marcparnes [+]
I've emailed him twice asking about the throttle and he hasn't had the courtesy to respond either time.

Marc

I gave up on Don Guhl over a year ago. I've owned the VFR1200X for three years now and went thru all of these questions within my first year. When I reached out to Don I received almost the exact boilerplate email reply as the one posted above and then nothing when I started asking further clarifying questions. The primary focus from Guhl was getting my payment information. Nope.   :110:

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Member
  • Riding since 1968
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 10:35:34 AM »
This is too much trouble at this point and I keep getting tickets with this bike as it is, it's fast enough. I think I'm just gonna leave it alone and ride it.
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!