Author Topic: This helps the sensitive throttle  (Read 9018 times)

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
Re: This helps the sensitive throttle
Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 11:33:48 AM
There is another adjustment point under the r side cover.
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Offline GA VFR

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: too many
  • City / Town: Alpharetta, GA
Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 01:43:10 AM
Does this issue pertain to DCT, manual or both versions?

Follow your front wheel

Offline Jfro5867

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2018 model
Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 11:05:49 AM
Both. From reading all these (and other threads) it seems initial dealer PDI is important and thereafter that the throttle cables are well adjusted with slack and slop dialled out.

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 11:33:53 AM
This all should be done during dealer set up, I bet a dime for a donut that 90% of dealers just blow it off. I have never found one worth a crap.

Soft ECM reset is for motor and Idle configuration.
There is also a reinitialization procedure for the DCT transmissions. I dont know what it is because mine is manual. I understand when the shifting gets harsh and noisy it should be done.

Throttle cable adjustment makes a difference on these bikes, if you dont have enough adjustment slack at the top adjuster it can be done at the side location. This is also a dealer set up item that they usually overlook.

Grip puppies also help with the throttle. Honda put grips on this bike suitable for a childs hand. They are less than 10.00 and make a big difference in throttle control.

Our bikes come from the factory with notoriously underfilled final drives. Make sure it has oil in it. There is conflicting info on how depending on your reading source. Bike drains on side stand, it fills level and upright until it comes out of the fill hole, just like the motor oil. If you fill the final drive on the side stand you are UNDER filling it which will lead to overheating, wear and failure.

Bottom line, dont rely on a dealer to set up your bike correctly. Most of the time they dont. 
"Dave"

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 12:39:41 AM
*Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
This all should be done during dealer set up, I bet a dime for a donut that 90% of dealers just blow it off. I have never found one worth a crap.

Soft ECM reset is for motor and Idle configuration.
There is also a reinitialization procedure for the DCT transmissions. I dont know what it is because mine is manual. I understand when the shifting gets harsh and noisy it should be done.

Throttle cable adjustment makes a difference on these bikes, if you dont have enough adjustment slack at the top adjuster it can be done at the side location. This is also a dealer set up item that they usually overlook.

Grip puppies also help with the throttle. Honda put grips on this bike suitable for a childs hand. They are less than 10.00 and make a big difference in throttle control.

Our bikes come from the factory with notoriously underfilled final drives. Make sure it has oil in it. There is conflicting info on how depending on your reading source. Bike drains on side stand, it fills level and upright until it comes out of the fill hole, just like the motor oil. If you fill the final drive on the side stand you are UNDER filling it which will lead to overheating, wear and failure.

Bottom line, dont rely on a dealer to set up your bike correctly. Most of the time they dont.

Don't rely on a dealer for anything...

Offline Red Boll

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: (near) Rotterdam
Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 07:10:11 AM
*Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
Our bikes come from the factory with notoriously underfilled final drives. Make sure it has oil in it. There is conflicting info on how depending on your reading source.
A bit offtopic but how do check the final drive oil level?

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Estero
Reply #38 on: September 16, 2020, 02:16:19 PM
*Originally Posted by Red Boll [+]
A bit offtopic but how do check the final drive oil level?

Pysical and visual inspection at the fill bolt.  From memory, when level it should be at a level that reaches the bottom of the filler hole.

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #39 on: September 16, 2020, 02:32:48 PM
Bike upright and level, not on side stand. Fill until it comes out of the filler hole. I add an extra squirt while spinning the wheel. My final drive is as quiet as a church mouse.
"Dave"