Author Topic: New Crosstourer With Bad Brakes  (Read 2882 times)

• Offline Clifton

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    19
    • Topic Author

Offline Clifton

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    New Crosstourer With Bad Brakes
    on: Mar 21, 2019, 02.08 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 02.08 pm
    Picked up my new Crosstourer yesterday at the dealership and I was concerned when I first got on it that the brake handle came back almost to the grip. After pulling it again it firmed up so I rode off but thought darn I'm going to have to bleed the brakes. Pulling off the motor felt and sounded really nice and the DCT in S1 shifted perfectly. At the bottom of the hill the light turned red so a light pull on the brake and....... damn back to the grip already this is worse than I thought but on the second pump it firmed up only to experience the worst pulsating I've ever felt. So I find a place to turn around and ride back to the dealer, when I pull in it has 4 miles on the odo.
     Mechanic wipes off the rotors, takes it out then rides it straight back into the service area. Five minutes later he says it has a bent rotor they'll have to order one and he noticed the spongy lever so he'll bleed the system. Thinks it must have occurred in shipping but I was there shortly after it was assembled and it came with the front wheel off but bolted to the packing frame where it'd be almost impossible for it to be damaged. Maybe the "prep guy" dropped the wheel when removing it. I did that once actually, the front wheel off my Dyna Glide was leaning against my work bench and fell over when I bumped it. Rotors looked fine but as soon as I took it out and pulled the front brake I knew a rotor was bent from that wheel falling over.

Oh well maybe in a week or so.....

Here it was just after assembly, prep guy there behind doing something.

No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

• Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    574

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Estero
    Re: New Crosstourer With Bad Brakes
    Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06.50 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 06.50 pm
    Well that stinks.  Congratulations nonetheless!  Learned few things from your post.  But, what I know most of all is that I am going to have mine painted.  Bike looks great in the red!  My 16 is black. 

• Offline Longdude

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    176

Offline Longdude

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Yamaha XT660Z Te
    • City / Town: Exeter
    Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2019, 06.58 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 06.58 pm
    That's a shame.  Guess they will sort it asap.
    MoorMan.

• Offline Clifton

• Topic Author

Offline Clifton

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2019, 07.15 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 07.15 pm
    Thanks MZ, yeah guys I just hope they get it right. What concerns me most are the spongy brakes, what occurred to make that happen? I can't imagine it left the factory like that.

Question; I have pretty much decided on Givi Outback 37 cases which come in plain aluminum (anodized I believe) or for an upcharge painted black. Which would you choose? I like the black but am concerned about them showing scuffs and scratches as well as getting hot in the sun so am leaning toward plain aluminum.

Update; I just checked with Givi and the aluminum is not anodized. Black is powder coated and finished inside as well so probably worth the extra $50.
    Last Edit: Mar 21, 2019, 07.44 pm by Clifton

• Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    574

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Estero
    Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08.11 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 08.11 pm
    I bought my bike used with the Honda top case and panniers.  They are in the faux aluminum painted finish (can you tell that the wife has me doing the labor on her redecorating by my use of "faux").  The previous owner definitely dropped one of the panniers.  It really shows up close.  In Florida, I am always concerned about black colored anything with the sun and heat, as you are.  But, I agree with you on the black powder coat.  Probably much more durable if I understand the powder coating process accurately.   

Mike   

• Offline Clifton

• Topic Author

Offline Clifton

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08.19 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 08.19 pm
    "Faux" yes I can tell!  :001:

I had bare aluminum cases before and somehow they tended to discolor some items that rubbed around inside almost like a dark stain. No huge deal but I just had to use caution with certain things or put them in a separate bag. I just placed the order for a black set.

• Offline smoothbored

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    33

Offline smoothbored

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Powhatan Va.
    Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2019, 10.07 pm
    Mar 21, 2019, 10.07 pm
    I just  purchased a new 2016 out of the shipping crate for 3 years last Saturday with no problems.  It is easy however to bend a brake rotor ( done that )  years ago changing a tire.
    2016 VFR1200X
    2013 ZG1400
    2007 DL1000.
    2006 BMW GS1200
    current rides.

• Offline Clifton

• Topic Author

Offline Clifton

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2019, 01.23 am
    Mar 22, 2019, 01.23 am
    *Originally Posted by smoothbored [+]
    I just  purchased a new 2016 out of the shipping crate for 3 years last Saturday with no problems.  It is easy however to bend a brake rotor ( done that )  years ago changing a tire.

Congratulations! How do you like it so far?  Yes unfortunately I know! :)