Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Dopey question  (Read 973 times)

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Suffolk
Dopey question
« on: March 14, 2019, 05:35:53 PM »
I’m a newby to modern bikes so I’m on a learning curve. So today I routed the power wiring for my GPS. I took off the Highlander lighting/crash bars then the coloured side panels (no clips broken), then the black panels (ditto).
The question is; on the left hand side there are two ‘boots’ for want of a better word. One has some active connections, the other has two sockets which are not joined to anything, what are the unconnected ones, please? Picture attached.
Traction control sockets and fog light switch have been re-joined.

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Why not
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Re: Dopey question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:22:00 PM »
Accessory sockets for heated grips (with counter/dummy connectors mounted)
<-- Check!

Honda VFR1200XD - XR400R - the Dutch gather Here

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:13:08 PM »
Thanks Superjeap, as I already have OEM heated grips (not great but ok) then are they there to take eg Oxford grips?

Offline KLC

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:19:31 PM »
it's an accessory connector, search  honda quartet in the search bar , Its for low wattage connectors such as GPS and fog lights under 5 amps , Got my phone and GPS connected into mine, it's a switched circuit so goes of with the ignition
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:12:03 PM by KLC »

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 10:53:46 PM »
Brilliant! Now I know where to connect my GPS and phone that I’ve just wired to the battery. :157:

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:31:59 PM »
Right, so there appear to be ‘blanks’ in the sockets. I’ve removed one, here be pictures;
Can anyone tell me, a) can I use this to attach wiring and b) howto without wrecking the plug.

Offline KLC

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 01:10:46 AM »
 possibly a Sumitomo 2 way connector . Have you taken that out of the female side ,
Also have you checked voltage on that connector?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Other-Electrical-Components/15329/i.html?_ftrt=901&_sop=12&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_stpos=JE26SY&_ftrv=1&_from=R40&_nkw=sumitomo+mt

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »
OK, a bit more investigation reveals the plug (2 pin, there’s a 4 pin next to it) to be exactly the same as the spotlight switch socket.
Thing is, with the ignition ON (but not the engine) there is no voltage at the switch.
Any good ideas? I’m thinking that wiring the combined ciggy lighter and USB socket (it has a switch) direct to the battery is the easiest here.
I hate lose ends, literally and metaphorically, that’s why I’m obsessing about this!
 :440: