Author Topic: Lithium ion battery EXPENSIVE  (Read 3806 times)

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
Re: Lithium ion battery EXPENSIVE
Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 06:24:08 PM
My battery just toasted.  Was looking at lithium options.  Too many negative reviews even on quality brands.  They have certain merits, but I am not going to risk the downside.  I am going to wait to move to lithium. 

Offline 5 speed

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 03:41:46 AM
I agree, too many downsides except the weight.  Yuasa as you know is a good 3 year battery in FL  everything else is two.  But for me, I dont see spending the extra dough on the Yuasa because I am not going to be in the middle of knowwhere like I was on my KTM number one, and two I carry a antigravity jumper to power things while camping and it has a port to plug into special pigtails (I had to purchase separately).  now thing has started my 5.7 Hemi twice (even though only rated up to a V6) on two days back to back without me charging it and the battery was run down completely both times.  I used it once for my KTM and the bike fired immediately so I am not so worried about a better battery.

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 11:21:20 AM
*Originally Posted by 5 speed [+]
I carry a antigravity jumper to power things

Interesting.   On my Christmas list now!  Thanks Dave.  Hope you are doing well! 

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Journey not Destination
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Tampa
Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 08:36:10 PM
*Originally Posted by 5 speed [+]
... I carry a antigravity jumper...

I've jumped two of my bikes with dead batteries using a generic jump pack.  The first was during a 20 degrees F morning and the bike would not turn over. I killed the battery.   It started after second try with the jump pack.  The second was the CT left un-tendered for a couple of weeks coupled with some CB radio troubleshooting with the engine off.  It was a "duh" moment ending in a battery discharged below the start threshold.  She immediately started with the help of the jump pack.

I have two around the garage.  The second, at 2000 mAh, is larger than the one on the bike and I've jumped a diesel truck with it.  I charge both in the advance of hurricanes to use as phone chargers in the event of power outages....and they also work for camping trips...

Offline 5 speed

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 12:21:25 AM
MZ here is the one I have, fits under the seat nice.  I paid 89.00 for mine years ago so shop around

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avb-xp-1?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwuGC_e_E5AIVwQOGCh2ptwaREAQYAyABEgK6BPD_BwE

Need backup power? Then make your backup power one of the small, but mighty Antigravity Batteries XP-1 Micro-Starts for power on the go. Newly redesigned the XP-1 PPS (Personal Power Supply) has more features, more functionality, and the latest protection built right into the unit, and its clamps. Each of these lithium-ion XP-1 Micro-Starts features a 400 peak amp jump-start port, a 19 V output port for your laptop, and a 12 V standard output port for automotive accessories, as well as a 5 V USB port for your USB devices. Never leave home without it!

Antigravity Batteries XP-1 Micro-Start kit features include:

* Micro-Start XP-1 PPS unit (rechargeable lithium battery via wall outlet or vehicle cig lighter port)
* Built in LED flashlights with SOS and strobe patterns
* Built-in protections for over-charge and over-discharge (to extend battery life)
* Automatic power-off when not in use
* Lighted capacity indicator (to check battery power remaining)
* Set of SMART Mini Jumper Clamps
* Universal DC cable for all 12 V Accessories
* Eight assorted laptop charging tips
* Universal DC cable
* 4-into-1 USB cable
* Home wall charger
* Mobile charger
* Instruction manual
* Storage case included

Offline Clazzer

• Crosstourer Member
  • Better late than never!
  • Bike: 2016 CT Manual
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 04:59:10 PM
I purchased one of these last week and low and behold had the chance to use it on Saturday.  Worked a treat.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-SL65S-Schumacher-Jump-Starter-Power-Pack-Lithium-600A/333486818472?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My battery is starting to weaken now after 3 years so will be changing it in time for summer.
Old enough to know better but young enough to do it anyway!

Offline RABM

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: CT1200x
  • City / Town: East Kilbride
Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 08:09:14 PM
On an off road bike they might make difference, if you want to shed some weight  do you have some personal kgs you can shed, maybe not. Not wishing to be rude but a lighter battery or a lighter helmet, jacket , boots etc . Consider shedding unstrung weight , lighter wheels ?

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 09:07:53 PM
Hi,
I have paid €130 Euro recently for a replacement of the exact OEM Yuasa. As soon as the importer heard the model number he remarked- ooh that's a expensive one you have... a very common thing on this sad remote island.  How does a Lithium compare on price. Wemoto or similar do not post batteries overseas :187:

Tom
Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 09:10:57 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.