Random Gallery Image

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CT to AT?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Re: CT to AT?
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 09:07:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
Sorry for not being clearer on my buddy's characterization of the suspension.  It has nothing to do with the quality of the ride but rather its tendency to have front fork failures.  I still have not dialed in my suspension on the VFR to my liking.  But overall, I am pretty happy with it.  Love the bike.  Like the suspension.

What sort of front fork failures have you heard or experienced?

Online mzflorida

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
What sort of front fork failures have you heard or experienced?

I do not own the AT, so I have no personal experiences to report about fork failures.  That said,  apparently there are well documented and widespread fork issues with the bike here in the USA.  Prematurely worn internal parts, the anodized parts lose their finish (which causes the fork to stick), premature leaking, etc. are all included.  This is for 2016 and newer machines.  On the Africa Twin forum, there are hundreds upon hundreds of posts about this issue.  Hope that helps!

Mike

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
  • After breathing everything else is a bonus
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »
None that I know personally of however a general consensus (forums) appears to be because of vigorous off road use where the wet mud dries hard and gets under the seals. Also some claim to be because of 'wheelies' or the anodization of the forks but both these alleged factors cause vigorous controversy . Evidence though does point towards the former off road use. Of course there are other normal factors such pitted forks etc common to any front suspension.
Bill

arab-exile