Author Topic: CT to AT?  (Read 4413 times)

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592
    • Topic Author

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    CT to AT?
    on: Feb 27, 2019, 07.03 pm
    Feb 27, 2019, 07.03 pm
    Anybody done this and let me know the down side and faults and durability and longevity of the AT

The pros for me are lightness and smoother suspension and transmission........what are the down sides?

Cheers.

• Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    188

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
    • City / Town: Swords
    Re: CT to AT?
    Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08.18 pm
    Feb 27, 2019, 08.18 pm
    only had one when the CT was in for service for 3 days.
    AT is also much cheaper to run.

Downside is that it is expensive for what it is..

• Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    574

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Estero
    Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2019, 02.59 am
    Feb 28, 2019, 02.59 am
    I am, by no means an expert in this area.  However, a good friend of mine is.  He repeatedly insists that the AT is perhaps one of the best rider's motorcycles ever put in production, with the exception of its suspension.  I owned the NC (which I loved and now regret selling), and test rode the AT while I was considering the VFR1200X.  The AT is far less comfortable for me (6 02 240 lbs).  I just did not like the seat.  I liked the ride ergos on both pretty much equally well.   I do not like that my inner shin hits the foot pegs on the VFR when at a stop.  The AT is plenty powerful for solo riding and adequate for two-up riding with a pillion who is much lighter than am I!  If the VFR was the same weight as the AT it would have seen a more robust sales history here in the USA...wait sounds like I am describing the R1200...  I'll reach out to my friend to see if he can log in here and respond to you.  But, the AT is coming out with a new engine next year, if the rumors are true.  In the current iteration of the AT you will absolutely notice the reduced power in the AT.  Not a pooch by any measure.  But, still, noticeably less power than the VFR...which does not matter to me too terribly much.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2019, 08.08 am
    Feb 28, 2019, 08.08 am
    Yes maverick I have changed form the CT due to health reasons only;
    Pros; Lighter, more agile, cheaper on fuel, feels like a v twin without vibrations, excellent for single rider touring, enough power, DCT excellent, cheaper to service, good sound from standard exhaust, good torque, comfortable with plenty of room, low centre of gravity, excellent off and on road bike and excellent lights.

Cons;  Very tall (I use the foot peg to get on re back problems), chain drive (scot oilier fitted ), tubed tyres (goop applied to slow down punctures), miss the v four engine of CT, can tour two up loaded but nothing like the CT, front suspension (tweaked, mine now okay), battery access. I have done a review of mine on this site for more info.
    Bill

• Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    188

Offline Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
    • City / Town: Swords
    Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2019, 12.14 pm
    Feb 28, 2019, 12.14 pm
    *Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
      I owned the NC (which I loved and now regret selling),
    Thats interesting, I had the nc750x for 2 days when my CT was in for service. I loved it. only downside was hard suspension and windblast. Dealer was supposed to ring me for a trade in deal but didn't and I let it slip by. Was nice to bring the smaller engine up through the revs. I don't use that much of the rev range on the CT to be honest.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2019, 02.51 pm
    Feb 28, 2019, 02.51 pm
    Bill

• Offline Maverick

• Topic Author

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06.22 pm
    Feb 28, 2019, 06.22 pm
    *Originally Posted by mzflorida [+]
    I am, by no means an expert in this area.  However, a good friend of mine is.  He repeatedly insists that the AT is perhaps one of the best rider's motorcycles ever put in production, with the exception of its suspension.  I owned the NC (which I loved and now regret selling), and test rode the AT while I was considering the VFR1200X.  The AT is far less comfortable for me (6 02 240 lbs).  I just did not like the seat.  I liked the ride ergos on both pretty much equally well.   I do not like that my inner shin hits the foot pegs on the VFR when at a stop.  The AT is plenty powerful for solo riding and adequate for two-up riding with a pillion who is much lighter than am I!  If the VFR was the same weight as the AT it would have seen a more robust sales history here in the USA...wait sounds like I am describing the R1200...  I'll reach out to my friend to see if he can log in here and respond to you.  But, the AT is coming out with a new engine next year, if the rumors are true.  In the current iteration of the AT you will absolutely notice the reduced power in the AT.  Not a pooch by any measure.  But, still, noticeably less power than the VFR...which does not matter to me too terribly much.

Thanks, surprised you mentioned poor suspension, the VFR is actually worse in my opinion. As you say there is a bit of grunt on the AT, and with less weight it not bad in comparision.

Cheers

• Offline Maverick

• Topic Author

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06.27 pm
    Feb 28, 2019, 06.27 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yasko [+]

Thanks, read your post.

Sounds similar to my thoughts, but have you done a lot of miles now, how is it fairing long term?

arab-exile