Author Topic: 32K service  (Read 2633 times)

• Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    85
    • Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    32K service
    on: Feb 19, 2019, 05.32 pm
    Feb 19, 2019, 05.32 pm
    Has anyone gone through the 32K service yet? Mine is coming up and I'm wondering what people paid at both franchised and independent dealers?

Quotes I've had so far from franchised dealers range from £650 to £720.

And for independents they are £589 (+£130 if valves need adjusting) down to "£350 but we can't do your valves as we don't have the special tools".

So pretty much of a muchness. If I had the time I'd be doing it myself as most of the charge is labour.

• Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    694

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFRXDCT
    • City / Town: Beith, Ex-0141
    Re: 32K service
    Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08.27 am
    Feb 20, 2019, 08.27 am
    Sounds about right I'm afraid.

Only had the 16k on mine a few years ago. Managed to negotiate a price with my local main dealer (found them to be very good) and got the bike done in the middle of winter (cut labour prices) Sorry not much use to you at the moment!

Those were the prices they had mentioned as "normal" for the big service valve check.

If you are not doing it yourself and you plan on doing a load of miles I would be giving it to the main dealer. (My independant wont touch my CT DCT, "Expensive, complex bike, go get it done right and completely.") If you have not seen their work I would be subtley marking the valve covers/oil drains etc to make sure it was checked. Paranoia ripped out of me for years about main dealers after some less than stellar performances on my bikes and mates.

• Online Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2019, 08.32 am
    Feb 20, 2019, 08.32 am
    May I ask, who’s your local main dealer Andyrob?
    It’s good to hear recommendations, helps us all, dealer consistency is sketchy at best.

• Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    694

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: VFRXDCT
    • City / Town: Beith, Ex-0141
    Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09.57 am
    Feb 20, 2019, 09.57 am
    Hartley,

Victor Devines in Glasgow. Certainly been consistently good for me over the last 6years. Even for  tyres. Dont have a high turnover of staff, which I like.

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11.56 am
    Feb 20, 2019, 11.56 am
    Must be honest, those figures for the 32k service are just bloody scary  :005:.
    Now I am certainly not mechanically minded but it does beg the question, is it really essential that the valves get checked as I can remember my brother in law going 90k miles on his Z900 without ever having to adjust his valve shims despite regular checks by himself.  :027:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    85
    • Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2019, 03.58 pm
    Feb 20, 2019, 03.58 pm
    I'll be doing 12k per year so that's 1.5 services every 12 months. So it does add-up financially.

It needs to be serviced as per manufacturer's spec to keep the warranty live, but that doesn't mean a main dealer.

I trust one of the mechanics at my local main dealer (the excellent one left as he got fed up with the politics, and I suspect the tech' who does my bike is on the verge of walking out too), but the customer 'service' staff are terrible. So I've had warranty work declined that shouldn't have been. I think it's because the front desk hate bikes as they are primarily a car dealer so apply the same criteria: for example,  a DCT has a handbrake right, so you probably leave it on all the time and that's why your disc warped. Er, no.

I digress. The 32K service is expensive: the DCT service kit is c£180 (plugs are £25 each) so that's £500 of labour at £60 per hour: I think it's a 7 to 8 hour job. Dealer price variability is driven by the hourly rate. As I said, happy to do it myself over a weekend but I just don't have the time with all the other life events going on.

I'm not averse to paying for a good job well done. I just don't want to get done for a bad job.

• Offline Fat Bert   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    834

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
    • City / Town: Tenby
    Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2019, 02.46 pm
    Feb 22, 2019, 02.46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Dave56 [+]
    Must be honest, those figures for the 32k service are just bloody scary  :005:.
    Now I am certainly not mechanically minded but it does beg the question, is it really essential that the valves get checked as I can remember my brother in law going 90k miles on his Z900 without ever having to adjust his valve shims despite regular checks by himself.  :027:

Its a Honda FFS - never had one (or even known one) yet that needed valves adjusting!

But thereagain I have a thing about avoiding main dealers.

At £50-60 per hour, I can check and tighten things myself!!  Last Honda main dealer who changed a rear tyre for me torqued the wheel nuts up to 220nM - Workshop Manual says no more than 112nM - happened twice - never again

Just bought air filter, K&N Oil filter, OEM Honda DCT filter and 4 litres of Motul semi-syn oil - all for £55 delivered - guess how I'm spending tomorrow morning?

Saving £200!!

"Team Fat Bert" Racing

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2019, 08.42 pm
    Feb 22, 2019, 08.42 pm
    *Originally Posted by Fat Bert [+]
    Its a Honda FFS - never had one (or even known one) yet that needed valves adjusting!

But thereagain I have a thing about avoiding main dealers.

At £50-60 per hour, I can check and tighten things myself!!  Last Honda main dealer who changed a rear tyre for me torqued the wheel nuts up to 220nM - Workshop Manual says no more than 112nM - happened twice - never again

Just bought air filter, K&N Oil filter, OEM Honda DCT filter and 4 litres of Motul semi-syn oil - all for £55 delivered - guess how I'm spending tomorrow morning?

Saving £200!!

Like it Bert, like it.  :028:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

arab-exile