Author Topic: Battery re-connected - starter motor runs continuously.  (Read 3082 times)

• Offline darkwolf

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    5
    • Topic Author

Offline darkwolf

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Battery re-connected - starter motor runs continuously.
    on: Feb 19, 2019, 10.22 am
    Feb 19, 2019, 10.22 am
    Hey folks,

I should have signed up here before I have a problem but here goes.
    I have upgraded my Bandit to a Crosstourer last year and never looked back.

Over winter unfortunately the battery ran low (my Garage doesn't have power so I can't trickle charge it). No problem I thought, lets just charge it again.
    It wasn't flat, just down to a third or so, so charging was relatively fast.

Installing it again was the problem however. After connecting it back up the bikes starter immediately starts to run and doesn't stop. (I think that's what it is? It usually just spins up for a short moment when turning the ignition but in my case it immediately runs permanently now, even with no ignition key in.) (Excuse my bad explanation, I have relatively basic mechanical knowledge as I am a software engineer by trade :) )

Could this just be a fuse that blew upon re-connection? (it did spark a little on first reconnect, even though I made sure I connect positive first, so something might have gone wrong there.)

Had to scoot off to work on foot so wasn't able to check all the fuses bar a quick check. I am somewhat confused as to why the starter would just run continuously? Could this be more then just a fuse issue?

//Note: edited the post somewhat to match what is happening.
    Last Edit: Feb 19, 2019, 11.17 am by darkwolf

• Offline biker1300

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    158

Offline biker1300

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: dct highlander
    Re: Battery re-connected - starter motor runs continuously.
    Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02.36 pm
    Feb 19, 2019, 02.36 pm
    Hi and welcome     are you sure it isnt the fuel pump that you can hear running   is it low on fuel / has a leak         If the ignition is off nothing should be live  and as there is a spark when you connect the battery it sounds like a relay has got stuck or you have an alarm that is putting a load on the battery as soon as you connect it

• Offline darkwolf

• Topic Author

Offline darkwolf

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02.45 pm
    Feb 19, 2019, 02.45 pm
    You are right, this does sound more like the fuel pump. For some reason though it comes on immediately after connecting the battery and does not stop.
    My first thought was that a fuse must have blown after first connecting the battery, but surely that wouldn't make it run continuously, more like the opposite?

A stuck relay? How would I best check for that?

• Offline biker1300

Offline biker1300

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03.07 pm
    Feb 19, 2019, 03.07 pm
    find the fuel pump relay and pull it out   or disconnect it  which ever way it is wired in

• Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    85

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2019, 04.02 pm
    Feb 20, 2019, 04.02 pm
    Fuses are under the seat - i'd start there. 2 minute job to check them.

You also don't say how you charged the battery (car chargers will fry bike batteries). If the battery has fried, it might be a relay or solenoid cycling as there's not enough charge to fire-up the main circuit.

I've accidently grounded the battery before (using a spanner to remove the terminal screws) with no ill effects, so I think that's unlikely to be the cause of your problems.

Where are you based?

• Offline darkwolf

• Topic Author

Offline darkwolf

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05.18 pm
    Feb 20, 2019, 05.18 pm
    Hi, thanks for your answers.

I have checked over the fuses and they seem all fine.
    The battery I've charged with a dedicated bike battery charger, so I would expect that to have done the job really. :)

So from here on in I am not sure what else it could be apart from the fuel relay that's been previously mentioned.

Since I'm an AA member and also have home recovery I might just get them to transport it to my local shop.
    That might be the easiest solution as my garage is not connected to the house so I have no power there which makes working on the bike after work somewhat annoying. (I really need to get some battery powered lighting solution in there)

(Oh, and to your other question, I am based in Scotland)

• Offline biker1300

Offline biker1300

• Crosstourer Pro
    Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2019, 07.12 pm
    Feb 20, 2019, 07.12 pm
    Have you had it running since reconecting the battery ?    as it would be interesting to see if it throws a fault code up

• Offline darkwolf

• Topic Author

Offline darkwolf

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2019, 08.42 am
    Feb 21, 2019, 08.42 am
    As soon as I connect the battery the pump starts running.
    If I then turn on the ignition the lights of the bike turn on but the dash remains dark. (so no starting the bike either)
    Currently waiting on an AA van to show up. They'll either be able to help or get me to my local garage.  :015:
    Glad for that home cover now...
    I will report back once I know more.

arab-exile