Author Topic: Boosterplug? Or Z Bomb  (Read 10461 times)

• Offline ZeppelinV4

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    27
    • Topic Author

Offline ZeppelinV4

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Boosterplug? Or Z Bomb
    on: Feb 15, 2019, 06.19 pm
    Feb 15, 2019, 06.19 pm
    Following on from the interesting Z Bomb post previous to this, I'd like to ask if anyone else has fitted a BoosterPlug?

Basically I fitted an Arrow can and removed the baffle, at which point it popped all the time on the overrun. I was faced with a remap, Power Commander or the BoosterPlug (by far the cheapest option). So I went for the BoosterPlug (which basically fools the ECU into thinking the air temperature is way lower than it actually is, and so it boots fuel - but not when bike is maintaining constant speed).

So far I am impressed. Still a bit of popping, but well controllable, and a great noise that alerts people you are there when you blip the throttle. And when it's on song (hard acceleration) then it's excellent.

Anyway, have a look at the link - if nothing else then download the free booklet on fuel injection that they offer on the site. It explains it all very well.

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

I'm well chuffed.

Last Edit: Feb 15, 2019, 06.21 pm by ZeppelinV4

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: Boosterplug? Or Z Bomb
    Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07.21 am
    Feb 16, 2019, 07.21 am
    Thanks Mike I will look into that for my AT. In summer temperatures it is a bit lumpy at times.
    Bill

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2019, 09.57 am
    Feb 16, 2019, 09.57 am
    Cheers for the info Mike.  :028:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2019, 12.41 pm
    Feb 16, 2019, 12.41 pm
    They may work (in a limited way) but an ECU remap is a better option IMO.

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2019, 01.11 pm
    Feb 16, 2019, 01.11 pm
    I have had re-map and it made no difference to the low speed lumpiness on the AT. On the AT site post re this subject 3 have had the booster plug fitted and it has eliminated the low speed lumpiness due to a to lean mixture (EU regs) at low revs in our (UK) summer temperatures. I have just ordered mine for the service end of March. There is no problem with the running of the bike at this time of year.
    Bill

• Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    625

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
    • City / Town: PacNW
    Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2019, 02.12 pm
    Feb 16, 2019, 02.12 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yasko [+]
    I have had re-map and it made no difference to the low speed lumpiness on the AT. On the AT site post re this subject 3 have had the booster plug fitted and it has eliminated the low speed lumpiness due to a to lean mixture (EU regs) at low revs in our (UK) summer temperatures. I have just ordered mine for the service end of March. There is no problem with the running of the bike at this time of year.

Interesting, Bill.

No low-speed 'lumpiness' noted on my or my friends VFRX.  May be an AT issue exclusively?

I am just glad the OP is looking into something/anything.  All these fellas that add a high-flow exhausts and then claim they don't need to do anything with the A/F mix are just deluding themselves.  It's a system and all works together.  I'd venture to say every CT with an aftermarket exhaust is now running lean even if the bike doesn't pop on decel.  Running lean equals more heat and more heat is not good for the longevity of an engine.

A full stage-one upgrade for any bike is a better breathing/higher flow air filter, higher flow exhaust system (including the header is even better) AND some sort of A/F mixture tuner like a Power Commander that can make adjustments needed by the previous two modifications.  THEY ALL WORK TOGETHER and leaving a piece out is a recipe for trouble.
    Last Edit: Feb 16, 2019, 02.14 pm by DEMBONES

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2019, 03.56 pm
    Feb 16, 2019, 03.56 pm
    May well be just an AT problem a couple of AT's of friends who bought in 2016 don't seem to have that problem and others just ride through it in the UK. My 2013 Crosstourer certainly has never had that problem. It has definitely in mine (original spec) and other cases been caused by Euro 4 regulations. I have no problem in the winter months just hot summer days when it manifests itself. Ride safe over there (without any EU regs)  :003: mate,

EU 4 emissions for Two-wheel motorcycle w/ & w/o sidecar,
    1 January 2016 Introduced
    1 January 2017 Enforcement

Bill

• Offline ZeppelinV4

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    27
    • Topic Author

Offline ZeppelinV4

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2019, 04.31 pm
    Feb 16, 2019, 04.31 pm
    Yep - given that the stock engine is tuned for Euro 4 regs (and so is running lean as a result) then me putting the Arrow can on was asking for trouble. The Boosterplug definitely helped and I just bought a K&N air filter that I haven't fitted yet, perhaps I should.

I might consider an ECU remap tbh. Fit the K&N and then get it set up properly on a rolling road. I'm keeping the bike so I'm thinking long term and ditching the boosterplug and getting a remap could be the way forward.

I agree that the boosterplug might be a bit "rough and ready" but it's worked well for me so far. But now I'm intruiged. Arrow can, K&N filter and remap....hmmmmm

Basically I can't help tinkering with the bikes I have owned. The Arrow can decision came from my disappointement at the stock sound.

Anyone know a decent ECU remap place in South England?

arab-exile