Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Off road experience days  (Read 1282 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Off road experience days
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:35:24 PM »
For a few years now ive been toying with having a bit of a dabble at off road riding. Its something ive never had a go at ( running wide on a corner in Wales last year is not really what im talking about).

There's several companies that do this, some linked with manufactures other completely independent. What id like is somewhere that supplies the bikes, all the kit and is suitable for an offroad virgin.  Im after light off road/ green lane type stuff.

If anyone any recommendations through personnel experience id appreciate it.

Thanks

Paul

Online GarySN

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
Re: Off road experience days
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »
A friend and I went on a Dave Thorpe Enduro Day at their centre in South Wales.  What a fantastic day.

https://davethorpehondaoffroad.com/events/enduro/

All kit and bikes supplied.  The group went off to into a local woods, started on simple dirt tracks and progressed to  steep, muddy climbs that I'd never have considered attempting before starting the day. 

We signed up for the extra insurance (about £15 I think) to cover any damage to the bike.  My mate fell off and dropped the bike on a protruding rock, which put a hole in the engine casing.  Within the hour, he'd been provided with another bike and nothing more was said about it.

Highly recommended.

Offline VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDH
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 02:55:08 PM »
I'd highly recommend the Honda Adventure Centre, which use Africa Twins both manual and DCT. See here:

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,6863.msg68350.html#msg68350

And here:

https://www.facebook.com/hondaadventurecentre/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:01:51 PM by VfuRry »

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
I think the Honda or Triumph ones will cater for all, I think Honda do the 250 also to try.

There are a few others, but might not supply kit for more Trail riding rather than on closed grounds

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 09:59:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents.

I think I’d rather try having a go on a smaller capacity bike, 250 or something like that.

Online GarySN

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
Thanks for the replies gents.

I think I’d rather try having a go on a smaller capacity bike, 250 or something like that.
Did I mention Dave Thorpe?

https://davethorpehondaoffroad.com/events/enduro/#content_the-bikes

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
  • I'm not a mouse and my name's not Marty!
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »
A couple of years ago I went on a day with Mick Extance:
http://www.mickextanceexperience.com/

He has a decent bit of form when it comes to off-road riding, as does his son Adam.  It was an awesome day and at the time they were using Hondas of different ccs (now it is KTM).  My only issue was that the bikes were a bit tall for me.  Mick lowered it for me as much as was possible (not much ...) so regularly falling off or being bloody good were the remaining options.  I am not that good ...  :008:  :005:  :112:

Mick and Adam were the people leading the day - not just a name for the event - and at the end I was doing things I would never have attempted otherwise.
Sadly, Mick has had some health issues in the recent past, but is getting back in the saddle (literally) I am pleased to say.

The whole thing was relaxed and totally enjoyable.  I booked through Virgin which, at the time, made it cheaper.  All you need to do is turn up ... everything else was included.

Highly recommended  :152:
Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
Once again thanks for all the info gents. Had a look at them all and for workable dates, location and what i really want to do MartyMouses suggestion fits the bill best for me. So, Ive just booked the Mick Extance Ultimate Off road day on the 27th July.

Im excited already!

arab-exile