Author Topic: Super sensitive throttle 2017 dct  (Read 14503 times)

TrampaQ and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SamSpade

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200x
  • City / Town: Stittsville, Ont
Re: Super sensitive throttle 2017 dct
Reply #112 on: December 07, 2019, 07:13:12 PM
The part of all of this that I can't understand is why are some bikes perfectly fine and others are extremely bad! I read about this issue before I bought the bike, so when I did a test ride I spent three hours specifically looking for this problem. The demo bike I rode was perfectly smooth with no twitchy/sensitive throttle at all. I rode some gravel and broken pavement roads and it was perfectly fine. When I purchased my ST1300a in 2005 people said it had a twitchy throttle but I never had a problem. I figured this bike was the same, that is until I bought one! My bike is nothing like the demo I rode, on broken pavement unless you're heavy on the throttle or off completely it jerks and bucks like a bronco! I have a friend with the same bike and we switched for a while. After about 20 minutes he stopped and wanted to switch back saying "How the hell do you ride that thing"! His was smooth as silk, mine is as he said, a POS! Dealer just says it's fine, and could not explain why two other bikes I rode did not have the same problem. I'm going to try a larger dia grip in the spring as I find the Honda stock ones are really tiny in diameter. Someone suggested grip puppies so perhaps I'll try those first. Unfortunately it will be at least another 4 months before riding season starts here in Canada! I'll be looking at the new Africa Twin Adventure Sports in the spring, but will make sure I ride at least a couple of them to suss out any issues before I even think about buying.

Take Care Folks
Sam

Online oskar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XH
  • City / Town: Oviedo
Reply #113 on: December 08, 2019, 12:41:32 PM
*Originally Posted by SamSpade [+]
Drew, unfortunately this is a known issue with the VFR1200x does not seem to matter whether you have the DCT or the Standard. Also unfortunately nobody can tell me what causes this, my bike is by far the worst bike I've ever ridden. I have had bikes with twitchy throttles before but usually you get used to it after a couple of hundred clicks. The VFR is completely different, I took one out for a test ride prior to buying because I had read several reviews which mentioned this issue to some degree. I was out for three hours on the demo bike, it had 240 km on it when I took it out. After three hours of riding and specifically looking for this issue I was satisfied it was no different than any other bike. I went ahead and bought one, unfortunately when I get my bike it was completely different from the demo bike I rode. It is impossible to hold a steady throttle on my bike, the slightest bump in the road and it's bucking like a bronco! I have a few riding buddies with the same bike and have now rode four different VFR's, mine is the worst, one other bike was almost as bad and the other 2 had no issue what so ever. I've adjusted free play, had the dealer look it over and nothing has helped. A friend and I have spent several hours setting both his and my bike up the exact same way trying to fix it but no luck. His bike is perfectly smooth mine is a joke no matter which one of us rides it. Dealer can't explain why and just says it rider error. I have had no luck fixing this issue. You will however get somewhat used to it and my riding buddies wonder how I can ride it at all, but you should not have to! Honda should come up with a fix for this but they don't seem to care. How these bikes can be completely different from one to the next is beyond me. I suspect I will put up with it for one more season then ditch the VFR and buy something else, probably not another Honda! I've owned four other Honda's over the years and they have always been fantastic bikes. The VFR could be the same except for this issue. I was thinking of switching to an Africa Twin as I really like that bike but I've heard some say it has a similar issue. So like I say probably not another Honda. Good luck!

Sam

Sam, I had never heard that before and I believe you, what seems strange to me is why the cause of these differences between apparently equal CTs is unknown, in my case I have the same problem but more moderate (CT manual 2017), I understand that problem is not everyone's because if so it would be solved. No one can contribute something new.

Offline CT_Ron

• Crosstourer Member
  • Work to live, not live to work
  • Bike: VFR1200X (2014)
  • City / Town: Borne
Reply #114 on: December 09, 2019, 10:55:11 AM
*Originally Posted by oskar [+]
Sam, I had never heard that before and I believe you, what seems strange to me is why the cause of these differences between apparently equal CTs is unknown, in my case I have the same problem but more moderate (CT manual 2017), I understand that problem is not everyone's because if so it would be solved. No one can contribute something new.

Hey Jean,

You should get those grip puppies. I actually put on Oxford Heat Grips who have a larger diameter. On top of that, I put on grip puppies AND an Oxford throttle assist.

I owned a 2016 Africa Twin... If you think the Xtourer has a snatchy throttle, don't even try the AT. It's far worse and it's thin diameter grips (with super poor heating capability) makes it worse. Slow speeds were hell. The throttle couldn't stay linear at slow speeds and combined with It's very lean injection at those speeds, it creates an aggressive ON/OFF jojo effect. I absolutely love the V4 throttle response now that I survived the AT lol...

Offline smalle10

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Soon Crosstourer
  • City / Town: NYBORG
Reply #115 on: December 09, 2019, 11:17:21 AM
I have in 2018 rented a 2016 Crosstourer SC76.

And like SamSpade said the ride in town, even on smooth tarmac, it was a PITA. If i drove constant 50 - 55 -60 kmt in town, the CT was like a wild Bronco even in 2 and 3 gear, tried 4 gear and that was not better at all.

I have 32 years of riding motorcycles.

Had also a ST 1300 and that bike was smooth as hell.

I have tried 2 2012 CT and they have been very smooth, so wenn I buy a CT it will be a SC70.

Offline Showkey

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #116 on: December 09, 2019, 02:01:31 PM
Think the last two posts are perfect example........this throttle sensitivity........it’s depends on what your used to.

I have a Honda car with an ECO switch.  In ECO mode the gas pedal becomes deadened.  Switch ECO off the throttle is super responsive or sensitive ( for about 5 minutes) then your muscle memory adjusts and it’s becomes a non issue.   Same when you borrow a friends car, the first brake application might be a complete surprise, from going through the windshield to going through a stop sign.  One scenario the brake are super sensitive and the other extreme pedal travel is extreme. 

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #117 on: December 09, 2019, 07:40:41 PM
It's definitely not enough of a problem on my 2016 model to warrant me even trying lots of remedies much less sell the bike that I otherwise love.

Offline Clazzer

• Crosstourer Member
  • Better late than never!
  • Bike: 2016 CT Manual
  • City / Town: Stoke on Trent
Reply #118 on: February 03, 2020, 05:41:47 PM
Mine has its moments but I recognise that these are down to my inputs at certain times.  I installed grip puppies and have a KAOKO throttle lock, I also took almost all of the slack out of the throttle cable.

I've done 4K miles on her now and I'm perfectly used to the throttle, as previously mentioned I think it more than likely down to past experience, expectations and muscle memory.

From the start I was adamant that I wouldn't let it ruin the bike for me...and it hasn't!
Old enough to know better but young enough to do it anyway!

Online Max2007

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #119 on: February 03, 2020, 08:21:46 PM
Hallo! Same thing i use kaoko, stiffen the throttle and no more problem! I pers thing there is no  resistance in throttle and spring that pulls throttle back is to strong! In combination with harsh front fork, no smoth ride! For me with stiffer throttle no more probs, and after i put hyperpro springs i hope it going to even improve!! 😀

arab-exile