Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Post service problems  (Read 1683 times)

Offline noddy

• Crosstourer Member
Post service problems
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:42:31 PM »
Hi all

I could do with a bit of advice. I had my 30 00 mile service at a main agent in December. Today I took the old girl out for a run. No problems until I stopped, then when I started up I got the engine light and the traction control light. Stopped and restarted a couple of times but the problem persisted.  The engine was in limp mode no more than 70 in top.  Got home, stopped and tested again and problems cleared.

Anyone got any ideas? No more than 50 miles since the service so inclined to think loose wire or plug?

Thanks

John

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Re: Post service problems
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:30:19 PM »
I thought service was 32K miles. Its a big service so maybe some wires dislodged.

Thing is will it come back again??

Call the dealer and get them to check, will have left a fault code of sorts.

Offline Fredz

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 03:01:36 AM »
The cause of the MIL (malfunction indicator light or engine light as you call it) will be stored in the ECM (electronic control module) on the bike until read then cleared.  Section 4 of the FSM (factory service manual) gives 2 ways of reading DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) 1. using the HDS (Honda diagnostic system) Pocket tester or 2. using the jumper wire diagnostic SCS (service check short) connector plug under the seat yourself. 

I'd take it back to the dealer and get em to retrieve the DTCs and fix the cause seeing as how they brought it on.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:32:25 AM by Fredz »

Offline neile

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Neath
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 02:30:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by noddy [+]
Hi all

I could do with a bit of advice. I had my 30 00 mile service at a main agent in December. Today I took the old girl out for a run. No problems until I stopped, then when I started up I got the engine light and the traction control light. Stopped and restarted a couple of times but the problem persisted.  The engine was in limp mode no more than 70 in top.  Got home, stopped and tested again and problems cleared.

Anyone got any ideas? No more than 50 miles since the service so inclined to think loose wire or plug?

Thanks

John
   Hi John
i have exactly the same problem, been back to the dealership twice for ECU reset, and now the bike is back in same problem / symptoms as you describe. They are fitting a new ECU this week, i will let you know how it goes.
Neil

Offline noddy

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 06:03:41 PM »
Hi Neil

Thats interesting.  I've had my bike since July 2017 but mine is a 63 plate.  I did 9000 miles in 2018 with no problems at all.  Now, after the big service, it has faulted once.  I've used it three times since the fault and it hasn't re-occurred.

I'd be interested to know how your fault occurred?  Was it at startup or did it happen whilst the engine was running?  If you find out any more info (including what the dealership think caused it after they have removed the ECU) I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

John

Offline neile

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Neath
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 08:48:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by noddy [+]
Hi Neil

Thats interesting.  I've had my bike since July 2017 but mine is a 63 plate.  I did 9000 miles in 2018 with no problems at all.  Now, after the big service, it has faulted once.  I've used it three times since the fault and it hasn't re-occurred.

I'd be interested to know how your fault occurred?  Was it at startup or did it happen whilst the engine was running?  If you find out any more info (including what the dealership think caused it after they have removed the ECU) I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

John
  Hi John,
just a quick update, dealership had the bike in for 3 weeks, fitted a new ECU , had a new set of ignition keys, i stopped on the way home from collecting the problem bike, low and behold,..... same fault. Engine and traction control light on.  taken the bike back to dealership, and they are now waiting further instruction from Honda... i have some doubts and concerns , but just hoping they fix the fault...
i will keep in touch...
Neil
ps; bike is 66 plate 4k on the clock
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:03:02 PM by neile »

Offline noddy

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 09:57:24 PM »
Hi Neil

Thanks for the update. I think this is good news in a way for me - I don't need a new ECU! I've used the bike several times since my problem without a repeat. I'm off to Wales this weekend so that will be a proper test.   Please let me know what Honda say and I hope you get your bike soon now the weather is getting better.

Cheers

John

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Fort Myers
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 03:37:12 AM »
I don't know what 63 or 66 plate refers to for the VFR.  Could you explain what that means? Thanks in advance!