Author Topic: To CT or not CT  (Read 3133 times)

• Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    85
    • Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    To CT or not CT
    on: Feb 05, 2019, 05.50 pm
    Feb 05, 2019, 05.50 pm
    My CT is coming up to 3 years old and some of the issues I've  had with it are well documented on here.

So I'm thinking about moving on. Do I try another CT with a new warranty and service plan? Or extend the warranty on this one and run I into the ground over the next few years. Or do I jump ship completely?

As the CT RRP has just come down there don't seem to be too many deals around. And, as discussed in other posts, apart from the engine it's a bike behind the times.

It's my primary transport as I do about 250-300 miles a week to work in all weathers. I moved away from an NC owing to ergonomics and build quality. What does the collective think?

Answers on a postcard please.

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Re: To CT or not CT
    Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08.27 pm
    Feb 05, 2019, 08.27 pm
    Yep, the CT is falling behind the times, no doubt. However, as you say it’s your primary mode of transport it’s difficult to find anything in the sector that’s going to be as trustworthy.

Personally there’s nothing that’s really jumping at me at the mo, I like the GS but the misses doesn’t. Love the look of the Tiger 1200 but have my reservations about that.

I’ll be in a similar position in 10 months from now ( tho not my primary transport). I think I’ll probably keep the CT another year or two unless something really takes my fancy.

• Offline sire

• Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08.44 pm
    Feb 05, 2019, 08.44 pm
     I agree. For only a little more I could get a GS. I'm leaning towards keeping it for another 2 years then moving to the dark side (which is where I came from).

• Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    314

Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT X
    • City / Town: Orpington
    Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04.24 pm
    Feb 06, 2019, 04.24 pm

My CT was three years old last October I did wonder what to do next with my local Honda
    Dearler doing its best to sell me the AT after 27.000 miles back then I decided to keep
    My CT did not fancy another three years on PCP plus I have just turned 61 and riding solo and my current miles 30.500 miles and Honda suspension as well with
    no problems so took the plunge and change the suspension from REV’s soon to arrive I realised not much has changed and did not fancy any other manufacturer as for low tec not much to go wrong also being on here played part as well and how soon would  miss the
    V4 and shaft hope to keep for good few years to come

Fire fox

• Offline sire

• Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2019, 04.56 pm
    Feb 06, 2019, 04.56 pm
    I'm leaning that way too. I've paid the depreciation, so over the next couple of years the bike won't cost me as much as the first couple of years.

I'm doing about 12k per year all-in, so if I kept it for another 2-3 i'd be well over 50k which would make the residuals quite low. And the other counter to keeping it is that I use it in central London. While the bike is a Euro 3 and fine for the April 2019 ULEZ start, who knows when they might implement Euro 4 which would make the bike redundant.

• Offline sire

• Topic Author

Offline sire

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 05.28 pm
    Feb 19, 2019, 05.28 pm
    Just extended the warranty for another 2 years (£495) so i'll be in the market for a new bike in 2021.

I did speak to Dobles about a trade-in. I don't think they wanted my bike: they said that the RRP cut to the CT had primarily come out of dealer margins. I can't see how that's a viable business model, but there you go.

Next I've got to work out whether £720 for the 32K service at my local dealer is good value for money.

• Offline Rushy

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    76

Offline Rushy

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: DCT H'landerCamo
    • City / Town: Cheshire
    Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10.06 pm
    Feb 19, 2019, 10.06 pm
    *Originally Posted by sire [+]
    Just extended the warranty for another 2 years (£495) so i'll be in the market for a new bike in 2021.

Next I've got to work out whether £720 for the 32K service at my local dealer is good value for money.

I’d say its not value for money but I’m assuming that it’s a requirement of the warranty ?

I think that I would’ve saved the £495 , done as much of the servicing as I could myself ( oil , filters  , brakes ) and then paid a trusted mechanic to do the valve check and give the bike an annual check over.....but hey we are all different. ;)

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06.45 pm
    Feb 20, 2019, 06.45 pm
    Same thoughts here, CT 3,5 years old and +40000 commuting miles (65k km) and love the bike, best i've even rode on (and I do ride a lot of diff bikes!)
    Over the last 20 years of riding Honda, I've only used Honda warranty once for a dead battery within 2 years.
    So the next bike will be a Honda, but Honda doesnt have a shaft bike any more... so the AT is the next best?
    Besides the shaft my bike must have DCT.
    So I was thinking of buying a new CT, that would be my third CT, and drive the upcomming years.
    And is it really outdated? Well it doesnt have electronics all over but you only need that to compensate your driving skills  :745:

arab-exile