Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Pannier locks and keys.  (Read 369 times)

Offline nick marshall

• Crosstourer Member
Pannier locks and keys.
« on: February 02, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »
On my latest 2016 Crosstourer. The Honda pannier keys and locks are a different style and type to the ignition and top box lock and keys.

My panniers use a Honda thin long key. Where as my ignition and top box uses a thicker stubbier key.

Can the locks be changed on the panniers and recoded to work with my ignition key.

Thanks for your help.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Pannier locks and keys.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 02:13:32 PM »
Hi Nick, this has come up before but first happenend when the ignition chenged to the Wave style key(around 2015 i think) owners would get a bike with the new style key and luggage with the old. I have a 2015 model but wasnt registered and bought by me til Jan 2017, i have one key for everything. May be your panniers are "old stock" Ive got a feeling that it cannot be changed as its completley different lock, i know it pi55ed a few new owners off.

Offline hoppicker

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: BMW K1 R80GS
  • City / Town: STAPLEHURST
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 06:53:28 PM »
When I took delivery of my Highlander in August 2014 it came with the new wave key for the ignition and top box and the old style key for the panniers. I bought two new lock barrels to match the wave key but they would not fit the pannier lock bodies. At the NEC show that year I had a good moan about having two keys where as before I only had one for all the locks on my previous  R1200gsa.
I ended up speaking to someone who new all about the problem. Basically Honda were rolling out the new wave type key but using up panniers that used the old key. The problem was the wave type lock body was not a straight swap for the older type body. I told him if I had the new bodies I would make them fit. He took my details and said he would see what he could do. Three months later I received a jiffy bag with the lock bodies in. (No stamps on the package, so I had to pay for that!). By using a couple of adjustable reamers I managed to fit the bodies and then the barrels, so have ended up a happy chappy. Well done Honda.
VF1200X  XRV750 AFRICA TWIN
BMW K1 HONDA SH125i
BMW R80GS BMW R75/6

Offline nick marshall

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. Really appreciated.
Not sure what my next step will be now.....

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:30:28 PM »
If you use one style of key for everything you will need to switch off the engine to use the key if you just want to swap gloves or chuck something into the box.

If you carry one key for the ignition and another for the luggage you can still get access

I used mine this way and found it better (for me)

Ian  :305: