Author Topic: Traction control fault?  (Read 1714 times)

• Offline Cocker

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    2
    • Topic Author

Offline Cocker

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: VFR 1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Brixham
    Traction control fault?
    on: Jan 23, 2019, 07.58 am
    Jan 23, 2019, 07.58 am
    I went to the dealership yesterday to have a new rear tyre fitted.
    Being mindful of the need to ‘wear the tyre in’ and the fact that it was cold and wet, I proceeded with caution.
    However, as I gently rolled on the throttle going up a slip road to join a 50 mile per hour dual carriageway, the bike suddenly started to violently ‘fish tail’ and consequently I found myself on the ground sliding towards the junction.
    The bike is now in the repair shop and I am on the way to hospital soon to have my ankle looked at.
    Not being technically minded, I am prompted to ask the forum if anyone can tell me about how the traction control works and is it possible the the person who changed to tyre might have accidentally damaged the control senors or some how switched them off.
    Stay between the hedges

• Offline Matlock   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    120

Offline Matlock

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Liverpool
    Re: Traction control fault?
    Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09.48 am
    Jan 23, 2019, 09.48 am
    Oh dear, hope your injuries, and the bike's, aren't too serious, or costly. In answer to your question, I think the TC uses the ABS wheel sensors to monitor wheel speed. So if your rear wheel ABS sensor was damaged when the wheel was removed, then yes, it's possible the TC wouldn't work, or wouldn't work properly. However, if the sensor was damaged and the electronics identified a problem, I'd have expected the ABS warning light to come on at the very least. My own rear wheel ABS sensor was damaged by the mechanic in a main Honda dealer when the shaft drive recall work was done, so they're obviously susceptible to damage.
    The fishtailing could also suggest some other mechanical issue with the rear end causing a loss of grip. If that was the case the TC may not have been able to step in and save things.
    My advice is to get the machine checked by a reputable engineer - before any repair work is done to it. If it does show the sensor was damaged, or some other issue likely to have been caused by the tyre change then you should get a full written report from the engineer and confront the tyre fitter. I would have thought in these circumstances you would have a good claim against the tyre fitter for personal injury and bike repairs, although you'll almost certainly end up going to court over it. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

• Offline mick9879

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    52

Offline mick9879

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: Highlander DCT
    • City / Town: Southampton
    Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07.34 pm
    Jan 23, 2019, 07.34 pm
    That sucks man............Good luck with it all.

• Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    51

Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2019, 07.44 pm
    Jan 23, 2019, 07.44 pm
    It might sound daft, but has the tyre been fitted the right way round ?

• Offline Longdude

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    176

Offline Longdude

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Yamaha XT660Z Te
    • City / Town: Exeter
    Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07.06 am
    Jan 24, 2019, 07.06 am
    I always take down loose wheels for tyre fitting, mainly due to saving a few quid. Hope your ankle recovers and your bike gets sorted soon.
    MoorMan.

• Offline Murphy   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    169

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: DCT
    • City / Town: Suffolk
    Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11.25 am
    Jan 24, 2019, 11.25 am
    I’ll hold my hand up here to not being a CT owner (not yet-I’m an intent lurker, actively seeking a private sale DCT) but I do have a single arm, shaft drive Barvarian Panzer. Does the ‘fishtailing’ not sound like wheel nuts coming lose? I can’t imagine that just putting on the tyre facing the wrong way would cause such a sudden reaction, surely it would be more gradual as power increased?

• Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    51

Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04.38 pm
    Jan 24, 2019, 04.38 pm
    Hi Murphy, I'm just asking the question about the right way round.... The OP stated riding in the wet - a tyre the wrong way round will not clear the water away, quite probably the reverse and aquaplane.

• Offline Murphy   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    169

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: DCT
    • City / Town: Suffolk
    Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06.08 pm
    Jan 24, 2019, 06.08 pm
    Hondapaneuro, You may well be correct, I wasn’t dismissing the possibility, just offering up another option.
    Murph

arab-exile