Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How is it 2up?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Tenny80

• Crosstourer Junior
How is it 2up?
« on: January 22, 2019, 02:53:07 AM »
My current ride is a 2018 Vstrom 1000. Prior to that I owned a 2010 ST1300, 2009 Concours 1400, 2012 Vstrom 650.

I thought the 1000 would be good for two up, but it's not. It does not have much passenger room and the Givi Trekker bags take up all the leg room.

Does the VFR1200X have much passenger room? How is it power wise? the 1000 feels sluggish 2up. I'm a big guy at 6'3 280lbs and my wife is about 130lbs.

The Vstrom needs some huge suspension improvements and I wonder if I shouldn't just spend that money on an upgrade to the VFR1200X

Thanks in advance!

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Re: How is it 2up?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:56:41 AM »
Bought mine (2013) for 2 week two-up touring 6years ago. Had a GSX1400k2 for 11year before which took us all round Europe. Also got a SV1000Sk3 recently for solo fun.

DCT makes the biggest difference 1-up (performance in MT "Manual" mode) and 2-up (comfort for both.) She has never complained about comfort. But everybody is different. I'm 6'2" the missus 5'3" The difference for us will not be as different for you coming from another trailie/ADV bike. Basically height of the bike and getting on and off. I run Honda OE boxes and Givi 52L top box.

For the long m/way blasts I have occassionally found myself thinking about Cruise Control which is only available aftermarket. Lots of info on forum.

Had a a shock preload adjuster seize and another preload adjuster spill its guts.... after we got home! Upgraded to a Nitron. Different class.

The motor and the DCT are the stars of the show. The sound is proper nasty and most un-Honda through the airbox, nevermind with a pipe too. But does the usual big CC thang of purring along when you want to all nicey nicey.

It simply shrugs off two-up fully loaded. Easily accelerates, roll-on or revving through the gears to "silly" speeds. And easily sits at those "silly" speeds. I'm sure its around 90 ft/lb's of torque at the crank and around 110bhp at the wheel. So it feels fit despite the official weight.

This weight which you feel rolling it around off the bike dissapears on the move and I fling it about like a big supermoto in the twisties. Obviously by myself, as I want my kidneys to remain intact from any savage pillion blows.

And then there is the quality and build, fit and finish etc. Beautiful. Mine looks like new. Oh and shaft drive...JOY!

No intention to chop it in.

Offline Martymouse

• Crosstourer Master
  • I'm not a mouse and my name's not Marty!
  • Bike: VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »
 :0461:  :460:
Puch125, CD175, CB175, C90, CB100, CB900, VF750, K100, CBR1000, CBR1000, DR650SE, RF900R, Bayliner, RF900R, Super Blackbird, Piaggio X9 125, Burgman 650, Hayabusa, VFR1200F, VFR1200X

Online Grabcon

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 02:07:14 PM »
For pillion comfort there are a lot of things the want and complain about. My wife normally rides her bike, but there have been times when she has jumped on the back of the CT. Here real only complaint is getting on. She has a knack for hitting the side bags with her right foot. I have OEM luggage and they are a bit wide. From a riding aspect she says it is not as comfy as the ST1300 or my ST1100. But with that said the max she has gone on the back of the CT is about a 100 miles. So no long run days.
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2008 VFR800 ABS - The wife's bike, 1976 CB750F - For Sale, Brad

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
In 2014 my wife and I travelled down to Tuscany on my then manual Highlander and over the 2500+ miles she found it completely comfortable, which bearing in mind this was her first time back on a bike for over 30 years is I think testimony to the CT’s overall comfort.  :028:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD-E
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »
My wife chose the CT as the bike which we would tour on over all the other usual suspects we test rode. I pointed her in this direction be she made the final decision based on the one she wanted most. We have a 2014 DCT and this summer we did 3500 miles from London to Istanbul in 2 weeks. No complaints from either of us and we did this on the standard seat. The bike is plenty big and comfy even with the Highlander luggage attached. The motor is brilliant and the bike handles really well with or without weight. One caveat: I don't believe the rear shock is suitable for 2up fully loaded and I invested in a Wilbers 640 with remote preload. I actually believe that this adds to general seat comfort as well as stability. Buy with confidence. As also mentioned, the CT doesn't have all the bells and whistles. But as far as a I am concerned, this is a very easy bike to get along with and DCT is awesome. It is heavy in the car park so pillion procedure is to get on board and started. Side stand up, both feet on the floor, two hands on the bars and bars straight. Now ask your pillion to climb on. Now ride away and watch the bike shed its weight instantly. My achilles heel is a slow uphill sharp right turn!

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Member
  • Riding since 1968
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »
Tenny, You won't have any issues 2 up, Its a different class than the Strom. Also, the Euro versions are detuned and restricted through the ECM, US models are not. The US models are putting out around 127HP and 110 Tq, or somewhere around that. Mine pulls like a freight train. I am almost 6'4" at 240, the wife is 130, I don't even know she's back there until I loft the front tire. These things will run circles around a V Strom 1000 and not even break a sweat. I loved my V Strom, but simply put, there is no comparison.
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 06:15:04 PM »
Have to agree with a lot of whats already been said, the CT really does shrug off two up touring with the exeption, in my opinion, of the rear shock which i also had dump its oil. I uprated to a Wilbers unit also.
My good lady like the standard Honda seat tho i have a Touratech which i prefer.
Swimbo also finds the Honda luggage restricts her foot position on the peg so we use Givi Trekker which gives a little more room.
Performance wise, the CT has plenty and the DCT really does make it a doddle to ride. As already said, it misses out on a few bells and whistles, cruise would be great but other than that you wont go far wrong.