IMG 1061

Views: 197
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob
Top Wheelbarrow Ridge Track

Views: 226
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 vfr1200x check engine light  (Read 554 times)

Offline Donjhart

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: 2016 Honda VFRX
  • City / Town: Robertsvill
2016 vfr1200x check engine light
« on: January 09, 2019, 10:31:16 PM »
So i started my 2016 vfr1200x to leave work today and check engine light is on. Rode 25 miles home no issues. Shut engine off and restart light is still on but no throttle response just idles.So i remove battery cables and add dielectric grease to terminals unplug my veefour cruise control box and do the same and lube fuse for throttle. I hook everything back up start bike light is off and throttle responds. Took it for short ride light stays off. Bike has 19400 miles. Anyone else have similar problem?
Donjhart

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
Re: 2016 vfr1200x check engine light
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:32:20 AM »
I got a MIL error, a solid light after I installed the Electronic Cruise Control. I forgot to connect the little hose to the MAP sensor. The resolution to get the MIL error out was to....

Start the bike and let it run until the operating temp gets high enough to kick in the cooling fan and turn
off. Let it cool down. The key is to not touch the throttle at any time during this cycle, including when
starting the bike. Just press the button.
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2008 VFR800 ABS - The wife's bike, 1976 CB750F - For Sale, Brad

Offline Donjhart

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 10:58:44 AM »
Grabcon the veefour cruise has been installed on my vike for over two years and has worked flawlessly. My light came on before i started my 25 mile ride home. When i got home and shut it off and turned it back on it had no throttle response. I put dielectric grease on all connections mentioned in the chance they were not making good contact and after doing so it cleared the light and throttle works. I am hoping this cured the issue as i commute to work year round on my bike.
Donjhart

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Donjhart [+]
Grabcon the veefour cruise has been installed on my vike for over two years and has worked flawlessly. My light came on before i started my 25 mile ride home. When i got home and shut it off and turned it back on it had no throttle response. I put dielectric grease on all connections mentioned in the chance they were not making good contact and after doing so it cleared the light and throttle works. I am hoping this cured the issue as i commute to work year round on my bike.

Yep I understand that. I was just giving an explanation of why my MIL came on and a resolution to get the MIL out.
In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2008 VFR800 ABS - The wife's bike, 1976 CB750F - For Sale, Brad

Offline Donjhart

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »
I appreciate the help. I searched internet for problem and only found info on harley site which had same issues and hsuggested checking plugin connections for corrosion. Ots nice to see someone else in US has a vfr 1200. Ive seen several Africa Twins here in MO but no other VFR 1200.
Donjhart

Online VfuRry

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XDH
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:03:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Donjhart [+]
So i started my 2016 vfr1200x to leave work today and check engine light is on. Rode 25 miles home no issues. Shut engine off and restart light is still on but no throttle response just idles.So i remove battery cables and add dielectric grease to terminals unplug my veefour cruise control box and do the same and lube fuse for throttle. I hook everything back up start bike light is off and throttle responds. Took it for short ride light stays off. Bike has 19400 miles. Anyone else have similar problem?

I had this problem (no response to throttle) on my 2017 [2016] DCT after I'd installed a veefour ECC.

I was not able to get it to work, despite uninstalling and re-installing, and all connections appeared fine.  I have a replacement ECC and harness awaiting installation; hopefully it will work next time, and also won't produce this fault intermittently.

When you unplugged your ECC, I guess you used a loopback plug, in place of the ECC?  (otherwise, your throttle would have been disconnected while the ECC was removed).

Offline hondapaneuro

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 03:37:58 PM »
Hi DonJhart,
see my posting;
https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,6804.msg68078.html#msg68078
sound similar - I believe they cleaned a load of connectors around the throttle bodies. There is a fix in the workshop manual detailing all the steps to be taken.

Offline Donjhart

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
 So yesterday i rode to work no mil light on. Today i start my bike mil light stays on steady no throttle at all. I guess i will have to remove fuel tank and try and check connections at throttle bodies. Starting to look like i should have kept my klr 650.Good thing i bought honda extended warranty.
Donjhart

arab-exile