Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What's the Way to Go for VFR1200X Panniers?  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: What's the Way to Go for VFR1200X Panniers?
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2019, 05:52:54 PM »
Theyre very smart, if i didnt have the standard Trekker stuff already (plastic cases, which im very happy with) id go for those, top loading makes life so much easier.

Offline no rain

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
I like my Trekker Outback 48L's as well.  No need for an ugly top box.  I can stow my boots, helmet, gloves, tools, etc in one and my riding jacket, pants, and liners in the other.  One reason why I wore a two piece suit in the past when I had smaller side cases was because only the jacket or pants would fit in either case.  Now I can opt for a one piece suit.  I do have just a couple of wants for these cases.  First, there is a sharp edge to a sheet of aluminum near the bottoms which I think could damage my riding gear.  Secondly, if my gear is wet at my destination (usually the airport) and I want it secure, then it must sit wet and sealed for possibly more than five days, yuck!  In the past I have drilled quarter inch holes in the bottoms of plastic cases to provide ventilation, but I don't think I can bring myself to do that to these. 

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2019, 12:16:16 AM »
Just installed my Givi racks and 48L boxes.   Love them!

Offline potman2

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: vfr1200x dct
  • City / Town: Llandudno
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
I don't like the Honda panniers, top box too small.

So I got a Honda top box 45L and I will put Givi V35 panniers on, can't have big panniers or top box other wise they will get filled with the kitchen sink.
(she who must be obeyed  :024: )

Offline Dieselboy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Journey not Destination
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Tampa
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 01:41:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Big_John [+]
Just installed my Givi racks and 48L boxes.   Love them!...

:062:

I went with Touratech Zega Pros, in part because I was able to match the key to the TT GPS locking mount.

I ordered one 38L and one 45L and mounted both.  I exchanged the 45 and now run 38L on both sides.  I like the smaller profile, but no, you cannot put a helmet in there.

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 07:28:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by no rain [+]
Only the 48's will hold a full face helmet.

Whilst “Big is Good” is stated by another poster in this thread for the purposes of stowing ladies’ undergarments, some might not favor a bra so big that it will hold a full face helmet.

On the other hand, a thong that is not big enough to hold a full face helmet may well be viewed by many as too small.

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 08:16:17 PM »
I've had a variety of sized bags.  The favourite for versatility were the BMW Vario cases.  I left them on almost all the time since when they were collapsed the tucked in nicely.  I did not like the side load, although the GS was a mule and I could pile "wider" than with top loaders.

I had Happy trails, 37L I think, and they were passable for groceries, they were just poor design and small.  Going with the big ones here I felt like a GS poser.  But damn they hold everything.  The couple trips and grocery runs and general use they win hands down.  I do admit they make my ass look big though.... :005: Or more correctly the beasties, and mine looks smaller....

As for thongs, smaller is better.  Unless you mean mine, but that can't be unseen... :173:  :821:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:18:27 PM by Plane Dr »
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2019, 01:27:54 AM »
These are, no doubt, highly, highly personal decisions.

Having broken apart a toilet paper mega pack in the shopping center parking lot to sort its contents among my scrawny 37s — or forcibly jam worn underwear into the panniers in full view of the campground denizens — I have at times reconsidered my past choices. But I have yet to covet anyone’s 48s.

Plane Dr, your last remark on thong size —- is that a lay person’s view or a medical observation?