Author Topic: what suspension packed you used front and back  (Read 4790 times)

• Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    314
    • Topic Author

Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: CT X
    • City / Town: Orpington
    what suspension packed you used front and back
    on: Dec 14, 2018, 09.23 pm
    Dec 14, 2018, 09.23 pm

Hi all. I ride a 2015 CT manual hoping to change the suspension next year the question
      is I am about 14 stone average.

What sort of suspension set up you went for the front and the back if you live in the UK where do go to have the parts replace and the suspension set up to suit the way you
    ride and what was the cost come to if you don’t mind me asking.

Fire fox

• Offline Wizard

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    16

Offline Wizard

• Crosstourer Member
    Re: what suspension packed you used front and back
    Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11.09 pm
    Dec 14, 2018, 11.09 pm
     :030:
    Hi Firefox
    My first thought is that your bike is still quite new and so your bikes suspension should stilll be in pretty good condition.  Before you spend your hard earned money on new components have tried playing with the adjustments available with what’s fitted.  Forks and rear shocks are very easily adjusted all u need is a 24mm spammer and small flat blade screw driver.....are you familiar with these on you CT and what effects they have.
    Keep in mind Suspension is a personal thing (eg I like my suspension on the firm side) the condition the roads you ride on, weight you carry all have an influence, it’s one the reasons manufactured now make it very easy for us to adjust our suspension settings,  anyway I would suggest you put these tools in pocket go for 15-20min ride make some large adjustments ride again..with a large adjustment you feel a difference, make another adjustment, go for another ride etc etc, play around with it.  Good luck

• Offline Wizard

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    16

Offline Wizard

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2018, 11.10 pm
    Dec 14, 2018, 11.10 pm
    Apologises that should b 14mm spanner not 24mm

• Offline spudpie   us

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    43

Offline spudpie

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: South Carolina
    Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2018, 12.25 am
    Dec 15, 2018, 12.25 am
    I ordered my suspension components through Beemershop, in California USA.  Ted Porter, the owner, is known for his vast knowledge and personal service.  He is "The Man" for BMW suspension upgrades, but he is familiar with other bikes as well.  I chose the Touratech-branded rear shock, which is built by Tractive Suspension in the Netherlands.  The shock was custom built for my weight and riding style.  In the front, all that was needed was new springs and lighter weight oil.  Suspension is a big investment, but worth it, in my opinion.

My shock:  http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=406-5880

My springs:  http://www.beemershop.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SP-F0-1548

Great video about adventure bike suspension: 
    &t=163s

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2018, 08.13 am
    Dec 15, 2018, 08.13 am
    Really interesting film nice one Spudpie :028:

Firefox,
    I had my suspension upgraded about 12 months ago. Wilbers shock with remote preload and Wilbers progressive springs (Selected for my weight and requirements) with oil change and some other work done inside the forks though if im honest im not sure exactly what. Was all done at Revs in Halesowen.
    Heres a link to my original post from the time i had the work done:
    https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,6361.0.html

12 months on how do i feel about it?

Pretty much the same as my early impressions. The front is definitly an improvement, less dive and more predictable.

The rear, well hands up, i think i may have made a mistake in this area. The guys at Revs asked my my weight, pillion weight. luggage weight and the sort of ratio that the bike was in the different conditions.  IE, how much time is the bike solo vs 2 up with full luggage.

At the time i reckoned on around 6 to 7k a year and we do a tour every year thats around 3k. My wife doesnt really do any miles on the bike other than when we're away on holiday.
    Based on the mileage i said 50% Solo 50% 2up with luggage.

In reality i did around 9k this year, 6k solo and the two up time amounted to only 2 weeks. Consequently i feel that solo (most of the time) the bike is a little too firm, its not bad and still an improvement on the original but id like it a little softer.  I think i may prefer my bikes a little softer than most. I have an XJR which is supposedly soft and i find it perfect, also had an FJR which again many owners said was undersprung, i thought mine rode lovely.

2 up the bike is a lot better about 3/4 of the preload adjustment is enough to get the bike sitting right.
    Its was 2up with luggage where i felt the original rear shock was lacking most, we did acually have the hydrauic preload fail on my first CT while away on holiday, (surprisingly didnt feel that different).

The reason i tell you all this is id think very carefully about weights and uses should you go this route. Ive also read other of people finding the setup on a wilbers shock a bit hard and having a lower rated spring to get it as they wish. Could be that Wilbers naturally go for a firmer setup. This is a custom built shock so no problem.

The quality of the shock seems very good and has a 5 year warrenty but does require servicing at 2 year intervals to maintain the warrenty. (I may ask them about a softer spring when the time comes for mine to be serviced).

Its not a cheap job, mine cost around £1000 all in. Is it worth it, i think id probably say yes, especiallty 2 up.

If you have anymore questions, fire away.

Paul

Last Edit: Dec 15, 2018, 08.15 am by Hartley

• Offline firefox

• Topic Author

Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09.04 am
    Dec 15, 2018, 09.04 am

Many thanks for the reply’s I done a bout 29000 miles I have being using veejay settings since I have had the CT just over 3 years and 2 mounths I have the black nut all the way back anti clock the ten mil screw all the way forward clock wise and then turned two click back my rear shock is about clicks and the ten mil screw under the shock is three quarters to hard even when it’s just me and clothes I need to up the rear as it felt the rear was like dragging around bends as my wife never went on the CT because of illness but now a widow if I do ride two upp most woman in their late 50s are not light with only three clicks spare and only quarter left I need a better shock to carry more pay load and the front is a bone shaker on some round abouts I do like a firm ride I do lay the ct all the way over to the edge of the tyre and I use Annker 111 tyres and I be 61 in January  and I cover about 10.000 miles per year I only have the one bike

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2018, 09.26 am
    Dec 15, 2018, 09.26 am
    Going off what youve said Firefox, im confident youd be pleased with the udgrade.

• Offline firefox

• Topic Author

Offline firefox

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2018, 12.19 pm
    Dec 15, 2018, 12.19 pm

Hi Hartley
    I read your other post when spending that amount of cash you hope you end
    out close to what we are all after to make the CT it can be and should be so I take all the work is done in a day as I live near Orpington  near jun 4 of the M25 how far north is where you went I soon use the same company than going some where their is no feed back from other CT riders I don’t mind if it’s like 3 o clock in morning to start to get where I need to be.

arab-exile