Author Topic: New CT DCT owner, ElectroDan from Kent, UK  (Read 1479 times)

• Offline ElectroDan

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline ElectroDan

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    New CT DCT owner, ElectroDan from Kent, UK
    on: Dec 03, 2018, 12.39 pm
    Dec 03, 2018, 12.39 pm
    Hi all,

I'm now the proud owner of a 2014 Crosstourer Highlander DCT as of 2 days ago!

I've been in the market for a replacement bike for several months, as I'll be moving house in the next 2-3 months and need something which can handle the 100 mile/day commute, as sadly my trusty Vespa will not quite be man enough for the job! I've loved the Vespa experience though, great on MPG and very light and nimble so perfect for filtering the congested Kent roads.

Anyways, after reading many articles and blogs on best commuting bikes, I thought I was going for a BMW R1200GS Adventure with it's enormous 33L tank. I had considered an NC700X, NC750X, BMW F800GS, Triumph Sprint, BMW R1200ST, Honda VFR800, Triumph Trophy, Suzuki V-Strom and Honda Deauville for the new commute (so quite a list!). Strangely, the Crosstourer hadn't been mentioned in any of the articles or forum posts I'd read, so I only learnt of it's existence just over a month ago whilst looking at the used bikes section on Honda's website.

After looking into the bikes specifications, I knew it was a possible contender due to it being shaft drive (I didn't want to maintain a chain after owning the Dragstar and Vespa) with an upright seating position which I now require due to a lower back disc issue. Amazingly, the Crosstourer came in DCT version (as per the Vespa, twist and go!) so it was ticking more of the boxes. I would've liked a large GSA size tank but I guess we can't have everything!

I started looking at used prices and they were within budget, so switched my interest from the more expensive GSA to the CT. Having test ridden a 2013 model with 13k miles, then a brand new dealer demo model that had just 3 miles on the clock, I knew this was the model for me. So, I located a low mileage white one (my preferred colour) a mere 250-odd miles away, arranged to see/test-ride it Saturday, and bought it there and then, riding it home to Kent. Result.

I'm looking forward to riding it as much as possible to/from work before they start gritting the roads, at which point I'll tuck it away until the roads are free of grit again next year.

Cheers!
    2014 Crosstourer Highlander DCT
    (Previous: Vespa GTS 300 Super, Yamaha Dragstar XVS1100, Honda CBR600FX, Yamaha Diversion XJ600S, Kawasaki ZZR250, Honda Camino 50cc(!))

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    Re: New CT DCT owner, ElectroDan from Kent, UK
    Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2018, 12.48 pm
    Dec 03, 2018, 12.48 pm
    Great intro  :400: and safe riding  :305: from another back pain casualty.
    Bill

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01.22 pm
    Dec 03, 2018, 01.22 pm
    Hi Dan and  :400: along to the colleCTive.  :028:
    Must be honest, I'm intrigued to know how you found the 250 mile ride home on the CT.  :152:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline ElectroDan

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline ElectroDan

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
    Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2018, 05.08 pm
    Dec 03, 2018, 05.08 pm
    *Originally Posted by Dave56 [+]
    Must be honest, I'm intrigued to know how you found the 250 mile ride home on the CT.  :152:

A bit of a challenge! I'd been up since 6am (only having 4-5 hours sleep as kept waking up thinking I'd forget to take something crucial and have a wasted trip), arrived at Wigan at 11am due to a train delay, then finally set off from near Wigan at 3:10pm after a bank transfer security issue. Annoyingly, most of the motorway back to the M25 had a 50mph limit due to roadworks which I could've done without. I stopped after 2 hours for food and a stretch, then carried on for another hour before needing petrol. I was feeling fairly tired at this point, so at Toddington services after a loo break I spotted one of those big black leather armchairs that gives you a massage for £3 tucked away in the corner. As it was now after 7pm it was fairly quiet so I sat down to rest, left my ear plugs in and ended up falling asleep for half an hour! Love a nap. Woke up, filled up with petrol and off I set on the last leg.

The trip highlighted 2 things I need to address though, 1 more major than the other. I suffered from a HUGE amount of buffeting on the motorways at 70mph, which I think lead to my headache when I got home. I almost felt like I'd been in a fight, my head was getting knocked around so much. I figured it was my height (6'3") together with the Puig screen the bike has fitted. That or my Nolan N21 helmet (https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/225184.

However, since reading a tonne of post on here since, I'm going to first try the free deflector you make out of PVC (but no more than 2mm thick!) as it might not be screen related. Depending on results, I might try a Givi Airflow screen afterwards.

The 2nd, more minor issue, is I could probably do with lower footpegs. I wasn't sore, but I think my legs would prefer to be less bent at the knee if you get me. Up to an hour or so of travel (e.g. my new commute) I might be okay with standard pegs, we'll see how it goes!
    2014 Crosstourer Highlander DCT
    (Previous: Vespa GTS 300 Super, Yamaha Dragstar XVS1100, Honda CBR600FX, Yamaha Diversion XJ600S, Kawasaki ZZR250, Honda Camino 50cc(!))

• Offline Viffer18

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Viffer18

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT Highlander-T
    • City / Town: Nr Colchester
    Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2018, 05.41 pm
    Dec 03, 2018, 05.41 pm
    Welcome Dan,

Nice mini review & a good start to CT ownership.
    Don't envy you the 100 mile a day commute (been there done that)

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 05.54 pm
    Dec 03, 2018, 05.54 pm
    Welcome Dan. :305:

I find the tall Honda touring screen, very similar to the Puig causes terrible buffeting and the accompanying headache.  I tried the Givi Airflow, didnt work for me but i know many people on here like it.  MRA X-screen has been the best for me.

Enjoy the new ride

All the best

Paul

• Offline hoppicker   gb

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    84

Offline hoppicker

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: BMW K1 R80GS
    • City / Town: STAPLEHURST
    Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06.22 pm
    Dec 03, 2018, 06.22 pm
    Welcome Dan. The Givi works a treat for me. I am not far from you so if you want to see one on a bike to help you decide PM me.
    VF1200X  XRV750 AFRICA TWIN
    BMW K1 HONDA SH125i
    BMW R80GS BMW R75/6
    HONDA NC750D INTEGRA

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2018, 06.26 pm
    Dec 03, 2018, 06.26 pm
    Hello  from across the border in East Sussex.......not sure where you are moving to though

Not the best on fuel consumption as the others you mention. But if its mainly for longer commuting and not having to buy new, it should work out ok

arab-exile