IMG 0024

Views: 497
Posted by: Freddy
in: Freddy
IMG 1014 1 EICMA2011

Views: 280
Posted by: Giovannino
in: Giovannino

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM Fog lights worth it?  (Read 267 times)

Offline Sir Sceptalot

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: CBR/XL600V/VFRX
  • City / Town: Hooglede
OEM Fog lights worth it?
« on: November 29, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
I commute to work with Scratchy (dubbed such when I dropped my crosstourer due to a very acute case of "I-though-the-ground-was-higher-), and work quite a few hours.
The result of this is that it's always dark when I'm riding during the winter months. Dark in the morning when I go to work, and dark when I ride home.

The wife and I also take the bike on holiday in the off-season, again job related. Again, this means we often end up riding in the dark. We plan a nice day doing mountain roads, go out to eat somewhere and return to the campsite late.

I've asked a quote to have the OEM fog lights installed now, and it came in at just under €900.
I'm all for safety and such, but are they worth it? Am I going to get better visibility, or are they just a trinket to make the bike look a bit cooler?

Edit: I would like to have it noted that I, Sir Sceptalot, am an idiot.
I meant to post this in the correct section, I really did!

Can a friendly moderator move this to the Lighting section please?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 03:02:32 PM by Sir Sceptalot »

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: OEM Fog lights worth it?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:11:17 PM »
They are good but are not linked to your headlight so don’t dip/switch off ( if you know what I mean) but theyre not 900 euros good.
I’d not have paid that, they used to come as part of the highlander kit.

Lots of after market stuff about and a i beleive a few on here have done a HID mod which may be a better solution for you.

Offline Sir Sceptalot

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 03:28:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
They are good but are not linked to your headlight so don’t dip/switch off ( if you know what I mean) but theyre not 900 euros good.
I’d not have paid that, they used to come as part of the highlander kit.

Lots of after market stuff about and a i beleive a few on here have done a HID mod which may be a better solution for you.

That might indeed be a better solution.
The biggest problem I have isn't when driving straight - the OEM headlight is sufficient then.
When cornering however, I'm looking far above where the beam is pointing.

I dunno, maybe this is just a case of suck it up, because I assume every bike in existence must have that problem.

Offline hoppicker

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: BMW K1 R80GS
  • City / Town: STAPLEHURST
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 07:46:24 PM »
I have changed the standard H7 lights on my CT to HID and have the Honda fog lights as well and there is no comparison with the Denali 2.0 D4 lights I have fitted to my R80 GS. The Denali lights are superb. I have also fitted their dimmer unit which is wired into the bikes dipped beam wire. This reduces the LEDs to half power on dip. The D4 lights come with a choice of lenses as well, so you can choose between distance or spread or a mixture of both. After setting them up I have never had anybody coming towards me flash me. A lot cheaper than the price you have been quoted as well. I am even thinking of changing the Honda aux lights for Denali's.
VF1200X DCT
NC700D INTEGRA
BMW K1 HONDA SH125i
BMW R80GS BMW R75/6

Offline Sir Sceptalot

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:25:02 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll check those out!

arab-exile