DSC 1767

Views: 238
Posted by: LP
in: LP
P1130372

Views: 205
Posted by: LP
in: LP

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do The OEM Heated Grips Alter Hand Position?  (Read 868 times)

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: Do The OEM Heated Grips Alter Hand Position?
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 04:39:37 PM »
I often thought the light generated more heat than the grips  :008:

Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro
  • It's not a hobby, it's in yer blood !
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ollerton
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 12:16:40 PM »
 :745: I think you're right !!

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 04:47:19 AM »
If you want a larger circumference grip (like foam Grip Buddies; very relaxing) and/or a quick installation without adjusting distance from the toggle buttons, get the Oxford Hot Hands. Since these velcro over the existing grips, the install can be done in a few minutes, with wire ties, and is easily removed / made temporary. The switch is only one-position on/off, and the grips get super-hot (as you'll find from any Google search on them) -- very nice at and below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.* The Hot Hands are cheaper, too.

To address the non-relayed issue of the switch (risking leaving it on and draining the battery even though the switch has an indicator light), I cut off the connectors to the battery posts and crimped on a 12V accessory plug (easily found in auto parts stores) for use in the relayed factory accessory socket up in the fairing.**

*To get max heat without risk of blowing fuse or frying the heating elements, use an online wire gauge / ampacity converter to optimize respective lengths of Oxford's leads and those of the crimped-on 12V accessory plug, shooting for ampacity headlined at or just below a 3A inline fuse.

**You also get two levels of fuse protection this way -- one already in the factory block for the accessory socket and one inside the 12V plug itself. Moreover, if you do further installs of other accessories that tap into that accessory circuit or another switched circuit, you'll always have a second level of fuse protection if you have a fuse in the hot line to whatever farkle you're adding on.

Yowza!

Offline Jarrett

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR/AT/NC700X
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
I ended up buying some battery-powered heated gloves

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 04:38:53 PM »
Got out for a ride this afternoon, first with the Oxford grips, wasnt really that cold at 12 degrees but its the sort of temperature where id normally have the grips on.

The Oxfords are a massive improvement.I only had them betweem 30 and 50% and that was fine. Theyre also wider and a little softer than the Honda ones so thats also better for me. Overall happy with the mod.

Only went out to test the grips, ended up having a brilliant 2hr ride. :305: :152:

Offline Richo

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: CT & Blackbird
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »
Hi
The oem grips are ok if I just leave them on 4 or ,5 I went out a couple of weeks ago temp was about 10 degrees only had my Sumer gloves with me ( wife had a tidy up in the bike clothing cupboard !! I now can find nothing :230:  ) and they were ok finger tips a little nippy but to be expected . Not as good as the oxford version I have on my blackbird they are good . The vfrs came with the bike so I will not change them unless they break .
Cheers
Richo

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
I fitted the advanced touring ones, about 1-2 mm longer than standard, fit a treat.

Hi there Hartley.
I notice that the Sportsbike Shop currently have the Premium Touring grips at only £45, a 40% discount, would these fit OK as I’m considering getting some and getting Grantham Honda to fit them being the numpty I am.  :028:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 03:57:41 PM »
Hi Dave, from what I can figure out the premium ones have a slightly different controller set up, 5 heat settings instead of 7 or something like that. Certainly not something I’d worry about, £45 is a good price, trust me mate, you won’t regret it, far superior.
I paid 50 for the advanced ones off eBay, was Abingdon Honda with a sale on.

The most difficult bit I found was removal of the old heated grips and throttle tube ( and sorting a spinning fastener.

If Grantham do the job thats for them to sort so probably not a bad shout. Might be worth seeing what they could supply and fit for?

The touring ones fit a treat without any trimming required. I’d buy the same again.

Paul.