Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: rear preload adjuster  (Read 746 times)

Offline maccduff

• Crosstourer Member
  • here i am
  • Bike: ct
rear preload adjuster
« on: November 29, 2018, 09:40:35 PM »
hi guys as I have no clicks on my knob  :745: can you tell how mays turns and clicks the knob does from low to high, mines only turns 1 full turn.

cheers  :031:
macca

Online Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
  • City / Town: Swords
Re: rear preload adjuster
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 09:58:35 PM »
sounds like it is seized. quite common. should turn plenty of times. half a turn is a click.

Online Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:32:32 PM »
Definitely sounds like it’s siezed and if my memory serves me there should be about 20 clicks in total.
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:31:25 AM »
 :0461:sounds about right,  I was going to say 23 clicks from memory, ( after market fitted now) I’ve a feeing it may actually vary a little from bike to bike.

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Highlander dct
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 05:43:48 PM »
 This might be worth a try if your bike is out of warranty and the adjuster is hard to turn, I had a similar problem with the adjuster on my 2014 model after about 18 months, after taking the knob off I could see mine had not seized but the ball bearing (that makes the click) had come out of its socket and was binding between the knob and the body of the shock. I got rid of the ball bearing,and gave the thread and inside of the case  a liberal coat of silicone grease and wound the adjuster screw in and out a couple of times with a socket then pushed the knob back on and marked the top of it so I could tell how many turns I was adjusting it, I pull the knob off once a year and screw the adjuster in and out with a socket ( only use a socket as its easy and quick, not because its hard to move) and have not had any issue with it seizing up, the knob is not fixed to the shock but the grease keeps it in position. Bike is nearly 5 years old now and the adjuster is as easy to turn as when it was new.

Offline maccduff

• Crosstourer Member
  • here i am
  • Bike: ct
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:12:24 AM »
sounds great advice, how do you remove the knob without destroying anything  :033:

cheers
macca

Online Mcgrath

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT 2012 Black
  • City / Town: Swords
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 03:20:00 PM »

Offline x11

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Highlander dct
  • City / Town: Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 04:43:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by maccduff [+]
sounds great advice, how do you remove the knob without destroying anything  :033:

cheers
I used a bit of hardwood and a hammer, a firm but not to hard blow to the back of the adjuster knob,move the wood around the knob so it hits at 12, 4, and 8 o/clock in turn,  its easier with the wheel removed. When putting the knob back on use plenty of grease as it stops any crap getting in and also gives a bit of suction to keep it in place