20180216 155925 HDR (Large)

Views: 272
Posted by: Superjeap
in: Superjeap
One wheel only

Views: 591
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What to look out for when buying a DCT  (Read 971 times)

Offline navigator1946

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Lovin' my 2015 CT Highlander DCT.
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Hornsea, E.Yorks
Re: What to look out for when buying a DCT
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Superjeap [+]
Forgot to mention: I work in a bike shop and ride a lot of different bikes. The CT is the best bike I've ever driven. A lot of bikes have some nice points but some just for fun or for a short time (like a VTX1800  :001: ). The CT is in total a very good an comfortable bike. As themediaengine mentioned, you have to do some adjustments to make it your perfect bike (Screen, seat, horn, guards, etc).
I also recently drove a R1200GS 2013 with 80.000km, it felt like a Honda with at least 200.000 km on it  :006:

And this man does not have English as his native tongue!!  I could not describe my feelings about the CT any better.  Thanks, Superjeap. 
Just love my Honda

Offline Murphy

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »
Can I ask a supplementary question, please? What are the service intervals on the CT, which are the small ones and which are the bigguns? Any estimate on costs?

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Why not
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 09:09:38 PM »
Cant say much about the costs.
I think a service is much cheaper in UK, although I visited a bikeshop in London this summer and they even charged £5 for air...

<-- Check!

Honda VFR1200XD - XR400R - the Dutch gather Here

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 10:16:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by themediaengine [+]
I think the basic bike and engine is bullet proof and the DCT system has been used enough now on this and other bikes to confirm its worth. I do my own servicing and its cheap. You do not need lots of tools for any of the basics. I bought second hand and replaced the rear shock which I think is its weakest point, especially if you are loading the bike. The highlander package gives you all the touring stuff you need but the bike lacks one or two "luxuries" like huggers, engine plates, power sockets, intercom and satnag mounts. I have added all these things with no great expense and with no great difficulty. If these things sell a bike to you then you may feel its a low spec'd bike but for me this is not what makes a good bike and I like adding what I want, the way I want it.

You will love the engine. It's impossible to fault it or to rate another manufacturer higher. The DCT system seems completely weird at first and everyone thinks the gear changes are too early. The usual story is that people like using sport modes. I say change your way of thinking and adjust yourself to the bike. Gear changes are really much better than you can do and I would take this over a quick shifter any day. The bike develops speed very easily and if you let it stay in D it will never let you down. Resist sports modes and use the paddle to change down as you approach things the bike can't detect like an overtaking point. Don't go mad on the downshift because this bike can pull out tree stumps.

Two up and fully loaded this thing handles perfectly on the road and I can scuff all of the tyre round bends without stressing the passenger. I know the shock replacement has made the difference here and in overall comfort. I can't comment too much on its off road ability except I wouldn't take it or a beamer far off the beaten track. They both seem the same to me in that sense.

:0461: absolutely spot on.  :028:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 01:45:59 AM »
I’ll be 6yrs on my dct come April. Used either for long 2up touring fully loaded or getting thrashed like a big supermoto in the local twisties all in manual mode using the finger and thumb switchgear....faultless in nearly 30k.

The latest must have for the plastic fantastic/race track refugees seems to be downshift autoblipper.... Honda and this gearbox have been doing it for years... And reliably!

The perfect gear change all the time, perfectly capable of doing the things that we have been told/ trained not to do, ie mid corner on the throttle up or down shifts, being deliberately lazy and pulling up in what ever gear you are in and it’s ready to go in the bottom gear.

And ithen there is the soundtrack.... plays some tremendous tunes.

My old vid:

Offline Longdude

• Crosstourer Member
  • Living the dream, up on Dartmoor !
  • Bike: Transalp 700
  • City / Town: Exeter, Devon .
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 05:34:40 AM »
 :047:

That vid made my morning.

And the 'the mediaengine's' write up has helped me make my mind up.

:0461:
Living the dream, up on Dartmoor !

Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD-E
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
and I am saving up for a Leo Vince slip on...

arab-exile