Author Topic: What to look out for when buying a DCT  (Read 3660 times)

• Online Murphy   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    171
    • Topic Author

Online Murphy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: DCT
    • City / Town: Suffolk
    What to look out for when buying a DCT
    on: Nov 11, 2018, 05.33 pm
    Nov 11, 2018, 05.33 pm
    Hi, i’m Just beginning to look at the DCT. I really like the sound of the smooth gear shift-by any of explanation my current ride is a Barvarian Panzer-so the DCT reviews speak very well of that side of things.
    What I’d like to know is; what to look for, what are the weak spots, is servicing pricey? In fact anything that will help me pick the right bike if I decide to change from my clunky geared but reliable and pokey Beemer.

• Online Murphy   gb

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    171
    • Topic Author

Online Murphy

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: DCT
    • City / Town: Suffolk
    Re: What to look out for when buying a DCT
    Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2018, 07.15 pm
    Nov 11, 2018, 07.15 pm
    PS its the 1200 I’m thinking of. Current bike is R100RS

• Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    203

Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: vfr1200X
    Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2018, 09.08 pm
    Nov 11, 2018, 09.08 pm
    I've got the C/tourer DCT and the BMW 1200RT, both have plus and minus points, BUT, the DCT makes riding SOOOO much easier so it's the Honda for me over the Beemer.
    Mmmmmm, I might do a fairly comprehensive comparison of these two bikes on this forum, well, I'm a bit bored lately.  :028:

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09.11 am
    Nov 15, 2018, 09.11 am
    what to look for - Look for the colour you like most
    what are the weak spots - None and nothing, its a Honda! Read THIS
    is servicing pricey - yes, but not as pricey as the German bike

I would look for a >2015 model, although the differences are very little, the 2015 DCT box is a slight bit more improved, software-wise.
    The >2016 model has an adjustable screen and more DCT settings

• Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    54

Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member
    • Bike: VFR1200XD-E
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10.56 am
    Nov 15, 2018, 10.56 am
    I think the basic bike and engine is bullet proof and the DCT system has been used enough now on this and other bikes to confirm its worth. I do my own servicing and its cheap. You do not need lots of tools for any of the basics. I bought second hand and replaced the rear shock which I think is its weakest point, especially if you are loading the bike. The highlander package gives you all the touring stuff you need but the bike lacks one or two "luxuries" like huggers, engine plates, power sockets, intercom and satnag mounts. I have added all these things with no great expense and with no great difficulty. If these things sell a bike to you then you may feel its a low spec'd bike but for me this is not what makes a good bike and I like adding what I want, the way I want it.

You will love the engine. It's impossible to fault it or to rate another manufacturer higher. The DCT system seems completely weird at first and everyone thinks the gear changes are too early. The usual story is that people like using sport modes. I say change your way of thinking and adjust yourself to the bike. Gear changes are really much better than you can do and I would take this over a quick shifter any day. The bike develops speed very easily and if you let it stay in D it will never let you down. Resist sports modes and use the paddle to change down as you approach things the bike can't detect like an overtaking point. Don't go mad on the downshift because this bike can pull out tree stumps.

Two up and fully loaded this thing handles perfectly on the road and I can scuff all of the tyre round bends without stressing the passenger. I know the shock replacement has made the difference here and in overall comfort. I can't comment too much on its off road ability except I wouldn't take it or a beamer far off the beaten track. They both seem the same to me in that sense.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2018, 01.17 pm
    Nov 15, 2018, 01.17 pm
     :0461: A good summary of the CT.
    Bill

• Offline Longdude

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    176

Offline Longdude

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: Yamaha XT660Z Te
    • City / Town: Exeter
    Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2018, 05.55 pm
    Nov 15, 2018, 05.55 pm
    Wow, that's sold it to me.  I'm due to purchase soon and this has helped.
    MoorMan.

• Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09.46 pm
    Nov 15, 2018, 09.46 pm
    Forgot to mention: I work in a bike shop and ride a lot of different bikes. The CT is the best bike I've ever driven. A lot of bikes have some nice points but some just for fun or for a short time (like a VTX1800  :001: ). The CT is in total a very good an comfortable bike. As themediaengine mentioned, you have to do some adjustments to make it your perfect bike (Screen, seat, horn, guards, etc).
    I also recently drove a R1200GS 2013 with 80.000km, it felt like a Honda with at least 200.000 km on it  :006:

arab-exile