Author Topic: Motorbike radar detector  (Read 2579 times)

• Offline vmfpg

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    67
    • Topic Author

Offline vmfpg

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Lisboa
    Motorbike radar detector
    on: Nov 02, 2018, 11.52 pm
    Nov 02, 2018, 11.52 pm
    Hi everyone
    I intend to install a radar detector on my crosstourer but the only model I found for motorbikes is the ADAPTIV TPX RADAR LASER DETECTOR, which I think it's already a quite old model...
    Does anyone knows any good model that I could use?
    By the way, the radar detectors are not allowed in my country (and in most European countries, I guess...).

Thanks a lot guys.

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: Motorbike radar detector
    Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2018, 07.43 am
    Nov 03, 2018, 07.43 am
    IMO do not fit one. Speed limits are there for a reason and the lower the limit equates to more hazards i.e. side turnings, driveways, pedestrians and car drivers who just can't see motorbikes. Then you could have conditions of the road surface and inclement weather to contend with. Riding a motorcycle for all the benefits is a risky way to travel and riders need to lessen all risks for a safe journey with their speed and awareness. I certainly had many close escapes in my younger days where I raised that risk and lessons were learnt. Clear motorways in good conditions may be an exception for some but as you say in many countries they are illegal.
    Bill

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2018, 02.54 pm
    Nov 03, 2018, 02.54 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yasko [+]
    IMO do not fit one. Speed limits are there for a reason and the lower the limit equates to more hazards i.e. side turnings, driveways, pedestrians and car drivers who just can't see motorbikes. Then you could have conditions of the road surface and inclement weather to contend with. Riding a motorcycle for all the benefits is a risky way to travel and riders need to lessen all risks for a safe journey with their speed and awareness. I certainly had many close escapes in my younger days where I raised that risk and lessons were learnt. Clear motorways in good conditions may be an exception for some but as you say in many countries they are illegal.

:0461:
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline vmfpg

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    67
    • Topic Author

Offline vmfpg

• Crosstourer Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Honda VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Lisboa
    Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2018, 05.47 pm
    Nov 04, 2018, 05.47 pm
    Hi Yasko
    I understand your point and I'm also very well aware of why there are speed limits. I ride motorbikes for 36 years not only when the weather is warmer and sun is shinning but all year round, in all weather and road conditions and, fortunately, I lost that feeling that I'm the world's best rider 35 years ago; when I want to ride hard, I go to a track day.
    As I commute every day I want to avoid those police radars set for 50 and 70km/h in areas where it is quite stupid, if not "criminal", to set those limits. Of course I would been lying if I said that I wouldn't like to avoid the radars in a highway, where I like go faster than the speed limit... but mainly it's for the annoying city radars.
    In any case and besides being illegal, I think everyone must have the possibility of use those kind of devices, knowing that you are not putting anyone else in danger, and not being under someone's lecture about why there are speed limits...
    One question: are you sure you follow all the speed limits when riding or driving?
    Anyway and back to my main point, although it's something very rare in the market, if anyone knows about radar detectors for motorbikes and are wiling to talk just about it, can please give me a hand?
    Thank you all.

• Offline Dave56   gb

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1794

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: CRF1100 DCT
    • City / Town: Grantham
    Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2018, 07.37 pm
    Nov 04, 2018, 07.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by vmfpg [+]
    ... but mainly it's for the annoying city radars.

Which are populated by pedestrian’s, including children and cyclists, who need to be protected by said “stupid” speed limits.
    "The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2018, 06.58 am
    Nov 05, 2018, 06.58 am
    It is your choice vmfpg. My comment was not intended as a lecture just an old man's advice after 54 years of riding so I am :431: if that has offended you. You can take it or leave it; your choice.  As for the following quote 'I think everyone must have the possibility of use those kind of devices, knowing that you are not putting anyone else in danger,' With all my experience I certainly could not be absolutely sure that legal riding speeds by me would not put anyone in danger. For example a child suddenly running in front of you who you could not see before hand etc, etc. If you can be absolutely sure then go ahead but I could not condone such a purchase.  :305: safe.
    Bill

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08.26 am
    Nov 05, 2018, 08.26 am
    Without going into the rights and wrongs of such devices I do wonder if they actually work in the real world. From what I understand, speed cameras work at such a long range these days that I think that by the time you’ve had the warning from the device you may have already been caught.

As for the whole speeding debate. I for one will confess that I do exceed the limit at times, I think that most of us do. That said, most ( and I say most not all) numbered 20, 30,40, speed limits are there for a reason and I’ll generally will stick to those. 

However the recent increase in the amount of good country A roads that have been reduced from National Speed limit to 50 does make me wonder if safety is the primary concern.
    I’ve sctually spoken to a couple of Police officers who agree that a lot of these reductions are unnessary. One told me a general unwritten policy they adopted was if you were speeding in a “Numbered”’area they’d pull you. National Speed limit would be more about if they deemed you were actually dangerous rather than riding a few MPH over the limit.
    Obviously a copper has discretion, some of the questionable positioning of fixed and mobile speed cameras on these roads, for me at least, seems little to do with road safety.

• Offline marcopol

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    231

Offline marcopol

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2013 DCT 2012 DC
    • City / Town: Ashbourne and Ki
    Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2018, 02.37 pm
    Nov 06, 2018, 02.37 pm
    *Originally Posted by vmfpg [+]
    Hi everyone
    I intend to install a radar detector on my crosstourer but the only model I found for motorbikes is the ADAPTIV TPX RADAR LASER DETECTOR, which I think it's already a quite old model...
    Does anyone knows any good model that I could use?
    By the way, the radar detectors are not allowed in my country (and in most European countries, I guess...).

Thanks a lot guys.
    I am with you. I would like to know where I could get one also.