Edam, Noord-Holland

Views: 356
Posted by: luckyluke
in: Luckyluke
Bushcamp west of Balladonia

Views: 721
Posted by: RoadRash
in: RoadRash

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suspension Woes  (Read 462 times)

Offline Petethegreek

• Crosstourer Member
  • Acta non verba
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200x
Suspension Woes
« on: October 18, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »
Let me start by saying im a pretty big guy, in all dimensions... a few weeks ago while on a trip in the mountains my right fork started leaking... Bike is under 8k miles. Wont take it to dealer because it took them 4 hours to change my tires and they scratched my rims and exhaust, so something more complicated i simply don't trust them. Took it to a place that was praised by my friends, Washington Motorcycle Works, and what a different experience from the dealership it was. Ron the owner and the rest of the guys where super cool and not only he immediately started appraising the damage on the fork but also is helping me with my settings on it. Issue is a small scratch on the chrome and a bad seal, which is pretty much what i expected. He suggested for my weight 295lbs the spring in the rear suspension is not the best, and if my budget can allow it, we should change it. Now my problem is finding a spring that will work, he tried to find something for me but the market in USA is scarce.
Has anyone changed just the spring, if yes do you have the dimensions of it? or what you changed it with?
Honda VFR1200x Crosstourer '16 - Darth Honda
Kawasaki Ninja 1000 '12 - Green Lantern Kawi

Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD-E
  • City / Town: London
Re: Suspension Woes
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »
Its a well posted topic. I was similarly upset by the sloppy behaviour of my Showa shock when I bought mine second hand. The best of the advice I got from a couple of real experts was that refurbishing the existing shock has limited returns. I didn't want to spent £600 more on a new shock but I did. This bike is for me and my wife to tour on and that is the weight that we will have 80% of the time. The rear OEM shock is a poor component on what is otherwise a good bike. Its OK for a single rider of a modest weight but when you load it up its horrible. I don't regret the purchase. It makes the ride quality, handling and the comfort go up to maximum so its well worth the investment if you are heavy and going far.

arab-exile