Wind deflector 2

Views: 736
Posted by: Doc
in: Doc
20121014 132300

Views: 417
Posted by: peace
in: Peace

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cross Tourer or Tiger 1050 Sport  (Read 501 times)

Offline Pipster

• Crosstourer Junior
Cross Tourer or Tiger 1050 Sport
« on: October 17, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »
Hello everybody.  I may well be a long term member of this club in a few weeks but am having trouble committing.  I have had my Honda X11 for years now and still love it. However, I’m going coast to coast USA next year so fancied an adventure bike. I now have the older Tiger 1050 and really like it. I’m booking up a test ride on the Cross Tourer as I do like Hondas build and reputation etc. Im also considering getting the 2016 Tiger 1050 Sport so would welcome any guidance or suggestions (clean ones please), that might help me decide. Tks in advance.

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
  • After breathing everything else is a bonus
  • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
  • City / Town: Canterbury
Re: Cross Tourer or Tiger 1050 Sport
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
 :400: Pipster. A long test ride on both should help you decide and it is well worth trying a DCT CT. Triumph triple is a good engine and my second favourite after Honda V-Fours. But for long touring the CT's V-Four in my opinion is unbeatable with it's excellent torque. Good luck and safe riding  :305:
Bill

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:47:39 PM »
Hi Pipster and  :400: along.
As to your possible future purchase questions it has to be said that any opinions given are purely subjective to the contributor and as Yakso says the only real way is to take a lengthy test ride on both Triumph and Honda.
I would strongly recommend you try both the manual and the DCT version as I know you’ll be more than presently surprised by it.
If there is anything you specifically need to know
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 07:25:17 PM »
Tiger sport is a great bike. Lighter, smoother, better suspension and safer, lacks the torque, but otherwise much better.

Offline Viffer18

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
  • City / Town: Nr Colchester
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »
Welcome Pipster,

I assume from your intro' your shipping your own bike to do coast to coast. So my answer is which has best dealer support stateside (to which answer has to be Honda, unless Triumph have invested hugely)

You current Tiger, is it to tired or old to do the trip (Do you do your own spannering,know the machine like a loved girlfriend  :152: ) or would a newer model give you better piece of mind.

Horses for courses but Honda hard to beat but when you add shipping costs (freight weight?) possible repair bills (worse case scenario) or just plain chain/ sprockets tyres which fits your budget best.

If the road trip is just a maybe then I'd say go Honda

Offline Sandan

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »
 :400: from Scotland

Tough call, the sport is a great motor, has its own charm.  The CT is it’s equal and nudges ahead slightly on quality but either are brilliant.  You just need to ride and decide.  Good luck.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 10:25:30 PM »
If its any help, The Tiger sport (2017 model) is about €1.50 a tank easier on fuel than the CT on big European trips. Its also an easier bike to hustle on a bad road, probably aided by the 17" front wheel and less overall weight. But I'd still stick to the CT.
Tom
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Online themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD-E
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 01:43:22 PM »
This is a tough question. As above, your personal tastes and preferences will get only get addressed with test riding. Some others here mention the DCT option on the CT and I can assure you that this is something to get your head around. Its a simply stunning technology that makes touring in particular, so much easier. My choice of the CT (with DCT) was based on what would keep me and my missus interested, using the bike frequently to tour to all sorts of places and it won out over all the usual bikes. Its a Honda; it's a big and yet agile bike with the best engine and transmission ever so the CT got both of our votes very quickly. The missus said so straight away after she sat on it - no GS, KTM or Africa Twin for her! We find it very easy to live with as well. if it was a bike for just me alone, I might think differently though.

As an aside, I thought that the 19in front might mess things up a bit on the road. However, like the HD lowrider I took across the States, the size of wheels and tyres are actually really good for the full range of roads and surfaces you meet. I am not a dirt track person and most miles end up being on some highway but then there are plenty of mountain passes, town centres and car parks. The CT wheels and tyres seem just fine in an odd sort of way.

arab-exile