Author Topic: New 1200X  (Read 6836 times)

• Offline Beetlejuice

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline Beetlejuice

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    New 1200X
    on: Oct 05, 2018, 01.26 pm
    Oct 05, 2018, 01.26 pm
    Hi Everyone,

just after some peoples experiences for my first post.

I currently have a 2016 800X and have really enjoyed it over the last 2 years. When I bought it, I also test rode the 1200X but I preferred the 800X at that time due to it seemed more fun. Now that I've had it for a couple of years and i'm planning our first tours, I'm considering changing to the 1200X DCT. When I was in my local dealer, they didn't have a 1200X in and were pushing the new Africa Twin Adventure Sports.

Question - has anyone gone through the same bikes i.e. 800X to either 1200X or AT? I've heard Honda is stopping the 1200 F & X - is this correct? Would this be a factor when considering a purchase for anyone?

I've not had a ride using DCT but I'm sure i'll enjoy it if i change bikes - are there any downsides to it? My riding is mostly 2 up and on the 800X, I often find the rear shock bottoming out on uneven roads - any experience of this on the 1200X? We're of average weight (15st rider and 11st pillion) so nothing too excessive and this is without luggage attached.

Thanks for any advice.

• Offline Sandan

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    61

Offline Sandan

• Crosstourer Member
    Re: New 1200X
    Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2018, 01.43 pm
    Oct 05, 2018, 01.43 pm
    I have had the Africa twin both standard AT and the adventure sports, both manual and dct.  The CT is superior as a road tourer in my opinion in both grunt and feel and build quality is superior.   Also had vfr800f so use to the motor.  I Weigh the same but only had the CT a few weeks and not had my pillion on.  The DCT is the best I have experienced and rate it even better than the AT.  The AT is a great bike and if you are thinking dirt then it’s best.  But if you are leaning towards road mostly then the CT wins hands down in my experience.

• Offline Beetlejuice

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    3
    • Topic Author

Offline Beetlejuice

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2018, 01.56 pm
    Oct 05, 2018, 01.56 pm
    Thanks Sandan.

My riding will 100% be on roads which is why i'm not jumping on the dealer with their AT deals. When I bought the 800X, I thought at the time I would naturally progress to the 1200X after a few years but just a bit unsure now after hearing they are stopping production although I don't know if this is actually correct or not - my dealer says not as they managed to get it Euro 4 compliant? But then they didn't have a one on display either??

• Offline Hartley   england

• Crosstourer God  ‐    3074

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
    • Bike: Crosstourer
    • City / Town: Northampton
    Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2018, 05.05 pm
    Oct 05, 2018, 05.05 pm
    They had to go euro compliant for 16 so have had sone time out of the update. Someone on here did say the 1200X had been dropped in the states, maybe it will be here too. Not the the end of the world if it is, maybe some good deals to be had.

• Offline Sandan

• Crosstourer Member  ‐    61

Offline Sandan

• Crosstourer Member
    Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2018, 05.32 pm
    Oct 05, 2018, 05.32 pm
    I knew myself when I bought mine I sensed that it might be the end of the line but I didn't care, the bike will come with a three year warranty and Honda spares will keep it going well over 10 years.  You will get a cracking deal from someone.  Best to get a test ride again though but it's a better bike than the 800 in many ways.  But we are all different 😂, when I bought mine, I hoped it would be the perfect cross of my two longest owned bikes, the st1300 and the VFR1200F and 2 weeks in and 300 miles and it's everything I hoped for.  Brilliant bike, brilliant power plant that somehow Honda did not really make the most of.  The VFR1200F demise was a sad lose to the biking world but it was marketed horribly and strategically sold badly.  I think in years to come the vfr1200 will be the best bike that never was, the new plastic maggot if you are old enough to know what that refers to.  Good luck buddy on your new choice.  The VFR1200F was killed of in 2016.
    Last Edit: Oct 05, 2018, 05.37 pm by Sandan

• Offline GA VFR   us

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    142

Offline GA VFR

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: too many
    • City / Town: Alpharetta, GA
    Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2018, 12.55 am
    Oct 07, 2018, 12.55 am
    Every Honda I have owned has gone out of production, starting with a 93' 750 Nighthawk (sold), 94' CB 1000 that I still  have with 40k on the clock, other than oil, tires, batteries and valve adjustments no issues.  I change the first light bulb (blinker) last year. A 2003 VTX 1800 (sold) 2014 Valkyrie F6C and a 2016 VFR 1200X with I picked up in June of this year knowing no longer available in the USA.  My Honda lawn mower is 20 yrs old and cranks on the first pull! 
    Follow your front wheel

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2018, 07.50 am
    Oct 07, 2018, 07.50 am
    In the past 18 years I have had VFR 800 fi, VFR 800 v-tec, VFR 800 Crossrunner. I then had to change due to left foot injury to a DCT so purchased the Crosstourer. Then a chronic back condition forced me to get a lighter bike so I purchased the Africa Twin. If Honda had done a CT Crossrunner I would have had that because I love the v-fours. If you can manage the weight of the Crosstourer then that is the bike to choose for touring. Even if I could change gear with my left foot I would still prefer a DCT. The only gripe I have of the Africa twin now is tubed tyres, with two punctures in the last 4 months, you cannot just plug and go as you would with a tubeless tyre. If I could handle the weight I would still be the owner of a Crosstourer.
    Bill

• Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    203

Offline mondeoman

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: vfr1200X
    Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2018, 09.52 am
    Oct 07, 2018, 09.52 am
    "I've heard Honda is stopping the 1200 F & X ",  not so, I was talking to a Honda rep' at a dealers last Thus' and he said Honda have no plans to drop the CT and in fact this year has seen the best ever sales figures for the CT,  the dealer also chimed in and said they had sold 4 CTs in just over a month.  :047:

arab-exile