Author Topic: Some give me a good sales pitch for textile jacket  (Read 5571 times)

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592
    • Topic Author

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Some give me a good sales pitch for textile jacket
    on: Sep 25, 2018, 04.27 pm
    Sep 25, 2018, 04.27 pm
    I have far too much kit in the garage, all for different occasions and different bikes.

Boots, gloves, jackets, trousers, helmets, neck tubes I have the lot.

But time has come for a work horse touring adventure jacket thats waterproof

I do not want a removable waterproof liner, I want the jacket to be waterproof. I dont really want a thermal liner as use mid layers, but they come with the jacket, so no choice, some do come with one you can wear out without the jacket though.

I am not looking for Rukka or Klim, but nevertheless a good one.

I have had many years of successful Triumph Sympatex kit, no complains at all, brilliant, but now my Navigaor jacket let a bit of water in at the weekend on the arms. Ok I might give it one last go with Nikwax, but its done a good few years and miles hence looking for new.

Once the deluges are gone and I am still dry, I also like to use the jacket in teh warmer dryier months with the vents open. So thats a requirement too.

Any suggestions?

I know its getting close to oil and tyres, but having used Triumph gear for the passed 15 years I have not tried other brands, although Triumph does have a new jacket out.

• Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    267

Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Ollerton
    Re: Some give me a good sales pitch for textile jacket
    Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2018, 04.46 pm
    Sep 25, 2018, 04.46 pm
    Hello Maverick,

I have spent many years trying different brands, styles, materials etc. etc. and never really been absolutely happy !

I'm 6'4" with arms like a bloody ape. so that's always been an issue, but I've recently happened across Halvarssons gear and have invested in their "Prime" jacket. Fits perfectly, even the arms, I can't fault it. It does have a thermal liner, but I've only worn it without to date. Zips seem really good quality, and I love the magnetic fasteners on the pockets and zip tags.

All in all, very happy.   :046: :047: :152:

Be interested to hear what you end up with.

BFN

Wack

• Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    592
    • Topic Author

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: East Sussex
    Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2018, 05.18 pm
    Sep 25, 2018, 05.18 pm
    Thanks......the Prime does fit my brief - cheers

• Offline paulcb

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    11

Offline paulcb

• Crosstourer Junior
    • Bike: '01 ST1100 ABSII
    • City / Town: Celina, Texas
    Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2018, 06.52 pm
    Sep 25, 2018, 06.52 pm
    Here in the USA, I like www.tourmaster.com.  I have their Transition 4 jacket and Caliber pants, both with removable liners.  They are both very waterproof but not perfect, although I'm not convinced any gear is 100% dry at 70 mph on a motorcycle for hours and hours of heavy rain in truck traffic.  If I know I'm going to be in heavy rain for more than a couple of hours, I'll throw on my rain suit over my Tourmaster gear.  I wear my Tourmaster gear when the temps get below about 70°F.  Above that, I wear mesh and a rain suit. 
    Last Edit: Sep 25, 2018, 06.54 pm by paulcb

• Offline Michalak01

• Crosstourer Junior  ‐    9

Offline Michalak01

• Crosstourer Junior
    Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2018, 06.33 am
    Sep 26, 2018, 06.33 am
    Hi,

There’s not much choice on the market. You can check Rev’it Poseidon or Dominator or there’s one model of Spidi I know of.
    I was considering this solution by myself but I’m little afraid of hot days performance. We are riding mostly in good weather. Also keep in mind that if you’ll travel in rain for many hours, you’ll need rain gear anyway (Poseidon’s owner opinion).
    One more con is the price. Rev’it costs a lot, I don’t know how about Spidi.

• Offline battle_bulge

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    146

Offline battle_bulge

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT DCT
    • City / Town: Brussels
    Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2018, 11.09 am
    Sep 26, 2018, 11.09 am
    I have had the Revit Poseidon set for almost 2 years now. I ride virtually every week day, year-round. Very happy with it and after a nice brush soapy water wash it looks nearly new. Totally water proof. My set did not include a thermal layer, but I reuse one from a previous purchase.

It can be hot in summer days, but I would rather lose a few ml of water than a few cm of DNA on the road.

In regards to heat, what I have recently come to realise makes a BIG difference is using a flip helmet. The feeling of heat is much more bearable than when riding with a regular helmet.

have a good shopping!
    CT1200X - CRF250L - CB50J

• Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    181

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR1200X
    • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
    Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2018, 01.38 pm
    Sep 26, 2018, 01.38 pm
    I know many folks that have Aerostich products and swear by them. My next set will be one of their products.
    http://www.aerostich.com/

If you were in the US you could go to their factory and they will custom make them for you with out significant cost increase. Spend some time and research their products.
    In The Barn
    2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

• Offline Maritimer

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    171

Offline Maritimer

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Moncton,N.B.
    Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2018, 04.13 pm
    Sep 26, 2018, 04.13 pm
    I have an Aerostich Darien. It's just a Textile / Goretex shell with a large vent in the back and under the arms. It has several pockets. I've had the jacket since at least 1995 and it's still works great. last year I sent it back to the company to have some of the seam resealed. It's a little bulk but it's a very efficient jacket in the heat. As for keeping warm, you add whatever layers you want. It works for me. It also comes in tall sizes.

arab-exile