Author Topic: New Owner and New to The Forum  (Read 4619 times)

• Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    574
    • Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
    • City / Town: Estero
    New Owner and New to The Forum
    on: Sep 03, 2018, 06.34 pm
    Sep 03, 2018, 06.34 pm
    Happy Labor Day everyone!  I just ordered a used 2016 VFR1200X DCT!  Super excited to get it shipped.  I live down in South Florida in Fort Myers.  I ride just about every day and take a couple of 500-600 mile trips every two months or so.  I  am going to begin trailering it, from time to time, across the country.  I am coming off of an NC700X DCT, 2016...which is for sale if anyone is interested. Loved the NC700X, and also loved the DCT.  The VFR has a little more of what I currently want in a bike, especially on longer trips.  I like to work on my bikes myself, but need a little help every now and again!  Happy to give back too!    I am a retired LEO out of Chicago PD and then once more here in Florida.  I do mostly center of the state riding and like traveling through the state and national forests.  I don't mind highway riding but prefer more leisurely and scenic rides.    Some of the farkles that I am going to add right away are as follows.

Skene Photon Blasters

LED Headlight

Led Driving/Fog lights (looking for recommendations and wiring plans for this now if anyone can direct me...like my wiring to be neat...)

Admore light in the rear.

I am looking for a topcase now if anyone is selling one.  My new-used bike comes with the Paniers

I would like to add a passenger backrest separate from the topcase, and also one on the topcase. Would appreciate recommendations on this too. 

The second 12 V outlet.

Center stand

Light or crash bar (really would appreciate recommendations on this item)

Anyhow, thanks for hosting this forum!  Happy to join the club and I am looking forward to getting to know you all better!

Mike Z

• Offline Yasko   england

• Crosstourer Master  ‐    1361

Offline Yasko

• Crosstourer Master
    • Bike: Africa Twin DCT
    • City / Town: Canterbury
    Re: New Owner and New to The Forum
    Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2018, 06.39 am
    Sep 04, 2018, 06.39 am
     Welcome Mike and safe riding  :305: That will be big jump from the NC your in for a treat. One extra item I would suggest if not already on the bike is a radiator guard. Take care.
    Bill

• Offline mzflorida

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2018, 11.39 am
    Sep 04, 2018, 11.39 am
    Thanks, Bill!  I am looking forward to it.  It is a pretty big jump.  There will be a learning curve no doubt, with my throttle control and the bike's weight...not that I rid recklessly. I have some pretty good roads to get used to the bike though.  Very fortunate in that regard.  Thanks for the good wishes!

• Offline mzflorida

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2018, 11.42 am
    Sep 04, 2018, 11.42 am
    Thank you for the advice on the radiator guard too, Bill. 

• Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    166

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
    • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
    Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2018, 03.56 am
    Sep 08, 2018, 03.56 am
    Welcome new guy! On the crash bar, the general recommendation is for the ones from R & G Racing out of the UK. They appear to be the only ones which don’t have to be removed if you want to remove the middle cowl side plastic panels. I recently bought these bars and installed them myself. Very clean lines on the bike and unobtrusive. Easy online buying and importing into USA experience. Bars are well made, and consistent with quality of the bike.

Two bodgerings I had to do to install: 1) powdercoat was too thickly applied on the male ferrule of the right bar for the female ferrule of the left to slip over in order for the right and left bars to connect at the beak of the bike, so I needed to scrape the male ferrule, and 2) a hole is pre-drilled through that connecting ferrule for a security bolt to be inserted — unfortunately the hole on my set wasn’t drilled to line all the way through the male and female ferrules for that security bolt to pass, so I had to ream the holes a bit with an electric drill to get them to line up properly. My advice is to see if the bars connect smoothly before installing them on the bike, so you can do whatever bodgering needed beforehand more easily.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Offline mzflorida

• Topic Author

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2018, 06.41 pm
    Sep 08, 2018, 06.41 pm
    Hi Friday,

Thank you very much for the advice on the guards.  The R&G seem to be pretty well recommended.  I do like the idea that they do not have to be removed to perform additional work.  On another note, I just sold my NC700X about an hour ago.   Was sad to see it go.   My wife was going to adopt it as her own but changed her mind at the last minute.  Anyhow, thank you again for the advice. 

Mike 

• Offline Viffer18

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    118

Offline Viffer18

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: CT Highlander-T
    • City / Town: Nr Colchester
    Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2018, 07.19 pm
    Sep 08, 2018, 07.19 pm
    welcome Mike from another new member/owner

• Offline Stevensweert