Author Topic: found two spokes completely unthreaded in my rear wheel  (Read 7751 times)

Online DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Re: found two spokes completely unthreaded in my rear wheel
Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 05:26:30 PM
*Originally Posted by wack [+]
Hello DEMBONES,

From what you've said, I'm guessing that you've used the correct "spoke torque wrench" tool for doing this, not just pinging the spokes !?

Regards.

Wack

You don't need a special spoke torque wrench for the job on the Crosstourer.  The spokes have a simple hex bolt head at the wheel hub that can be torqued with an ordinary torque wrench and the proper hex bit (5mm I believe.)  I already had a pretty nice Craftsman inch-pound wrench in my tool box and it worked nicely setting the dial to 49 inch/lbs (the equivalent 4.1 ft/lbs.)
Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:37:12 PM by DEMBONES

Offline wack

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Ollerton
Reply #41 on: April 02, 2020, 08:35:00 AM
 :745:  :430: I guess it might have helped if I'd actually looked at the job before I'd posted !!  :789:

Wack

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
Reply #42 on: April 02, 2020, 11:27:46 AM
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
Just finished doing mine.  Would not call it a 10 minute job by any stretch but doable stuff by any owner with basic mechanical skills.  It definitely needed to be done with 14K miles on the clock, especially the rear.  The best advice I have is what has already been given...keep going round, alternating sides and skipping spokes and tighten in small increments.  I see now that the 1/4 turn advice is so that one spoke, over tightened too quickly, doesn't throw off others around it.  Slow and steady and finally they all get to and hold at 49inch pounds.   :028:

No Not by any means. It takes some time and patience to do it correctly, that's why I do all of my bike work myself. I wouldn't trust a shop to actually work on something critical to the safety of the ride. I made a whole day of it because I also was servicing the bike. 
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Online DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: PacNW
Reply #43 on: April 02, 2020, 01:04:28 PM
*Originally Posted by DaveinNC [+]
that's why I do all of my bike work myself. I wouldn't trust a shop to actually work on something critical to the safety of the ride.

Funny, Dave...I thought EXACTLY the same thing as I was painstakingly checking and re-checking mine (I'm a bit OCD by nature.)  I was thinking "there's no way any shop mechanic would be taking his time like this on this job."

Offline DaveinNC

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Matthews NC
Reply #44 on: April 02, 2020, 01:22:34 PM
*Originally Posted by DEMBONES [+]
Funny, Dave...I thought EXACTLY the same thing as I was painstakingly checking and re-checking mine (I'm a bit OCD by nature.)  I was thinking "there's no way any shop mechanic would be taking his time like this on this job."

They don't even check them. I had warranty work done on a previous bike and found missing nuts, bolts, push pins and broken tabs. Our VFRXs are so rare that most shop grunts probably have never seen one. Even less have probley ever laced a wheel. Imagine them trying to get the panels off and lift the tank. It would most likely be the proverbial circle jerk.  I m OCD about my bikes also. In fact, if there is something worse than OCD I have it. 
"Dave"

If You're Gonna Be Stupid, You Better Be Hard, because stupid hurts!

Offline VFR1200XDH

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XDH
  • City / Town: N. California
Reply #45 on: July 25, 2020, 04:13:00 AM
Old thread but here goes.

Maybe I'm older than I should be but routine checking of spoked wheels on a car or motorcycle is expected of the owner. I wouldn't ride even the 8000 miles as per the manual before checking, I do it at the end of each day's ride, it takes about 2 minutes.

You don't need to remove the wheels or need special tools unless a pencil is a special tool. You can check for loose spokes by sound and back in the day we even trued spoked wheels that way. You just tap each spoke in the same place on each side and listen. You'll instantly hear the spoke that is loose or not as tight as it should be. To true the wheels we'd make an "L" from two pencils using tape and spin the wheel. The pencil end being close to the wheel would show if it was out of round and touch the tip if it wasn't square side to side. You should never have a true wheel and a loose spoke.

While I'm there I check the tire tread and sidewalls, check the forks and touch every fastener I can just to see if any have gotten to hand loose. I check for drips, look under the engine, look at brake lines and the rear drive.

Its a Honda but they need checking too.

If I hear a dull sound from a spoke, I get after it before the bikes goes out on the road again. One loose spoke will lead to another, just a matter of time. No amount of loctite is the answer, spokes stretch then all you have are loctited loose spokes.

Just having a tech check them for you at service time is like not checking your oil level before each ride.

It really does only take two minutes and that is if I'm slow. Develop a routine and its automatic. The peace of mind is worth it.
To V or not to V is not the question.

Offline mzflorida

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200X,
  • City / Town: Estero
Reply #46 on: July 25, 2020, 11:54:53 AM
I wish I had that level of commitment.  I do check them routinely, but not after each ride.  I appreciate the tips on checking tone on each spoke.   

Offline VFR1200XDH

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XDH
  • City / Town: N. California
Reply #47 on: July 25, 2020, 06:01:28 PM
Yup. if the tone of each spoke is the same and one is torqued properly they are all so close it won't matter.

Try to tap in the very same spot on each spoke almost at the middle point if you can. My frequency is way overkill and not necessary. If you do it every 1000-2000 miles or so you're good to go. Its a very light tap (like a light tap with a drum stick) and once you get used to it, you can spin the wheel slowly and let the pencil or whatever run over the spokes. The you're down to seconds for the check. Then at every 8000 miles do that thorough check.

Since spoked wheel can go out of round using that L tool to check even with the wheels on the bike is simple and take seconds as well. They sell tools for that if you're not into the DYI stuff. A very worthwhile investment, who doesn't need more tools?

Happy riding.
To V or not to V is not the question.