Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: found two spokes completely unthreaded in my rear wheel  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Showkey

• Crosstourer Member
Re: found two spokes completely unthreaded in my rear wheel
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 02:13:00 AM »

Maintenance schedule on 3-3 of the shop manual states wheel and spoke check at 8000 miles for the first check and 8000 after that.

Pages 3-28/29 give the spoke torque spec, run out spec and inspection details.

As for the safety defect theory..........shop manual clearly  states ( recommends they done by the dealer) these checks should done by the dealer for safety reasons.  So not doing checks is on the owner as per the shop manual.

Offline oskar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XH
  • City / Town: Oviedo
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2018, 09:35:18 PM »
A manufacturer such as HONDA (the world's largest in motorcycles) can not be evidenced by two wheel spokes and their subsequent balancing. This is post-sale policy. Flexibility is part of the business.

Offline Bus

• Crosstourer Member
  • V-force fanatic
  • Bike: '16 VFR1200x
  • City / Town: Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »
Update today.   The honda shop called in their district representative who says its not covered.  He says it's a maintenance item.   

He says the spokes are broken also, not just backed out.

Got to say, I'm a little disappointed, but I'll order two new parts and true the wheel myself...  no need to pay more money having someone else do it.
History of bikes: '80 XL185s, '87 Ninja 250, '89 EX500, '91 ZX6, '84 KZ700a, '86 Ninja 1000R, '98 VFR800, '93 CBR600F2, '00 CBR929rr, '98 VFR800 (2nd VFR), '88 VTR250, '97 YZF1000 Thunderace, '05 GSXR600 (current), '00 YZ425F Sumo, '03 Tuono 1000r, '03 YZ450F Sumo, '03 VFR800 ABS (3rd VFR), '06 KTM Superduke, '01 VFR800 (4th VFR current), '12 Aprilia Tuono V4 (current), '89 Hawk GT, '93 CBR900RR (current), 1999 TT-R 250, 2014 CBR1000RR SP, 2007 KTM 450EXC (current), 2016 VFR1200X (5th VFRcurrent

Offline DEMBONES

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200XD
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 01:21:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bus [+]
Update today.   The honda shop called in their district representative who says its not covered.  He says it's a maintenance item.   

He says the spokes are broken also, not just backed out.

Got to say, I'm a little disappointed, but I'll order two new parts and true the wheel myself...  no need to pay more money having someone else do it.

Offline oskar

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XH
  • City / Town: Oviedo
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »

Little to say, but I do not agree with this decision of Honda shop, two Spoke set 6,5 dollars and 30 minutes of labor (https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/42605-MGH-640), flexibility is part of the business. In Spain we say today I lose a dollar and tomorrow I earn two.

I am sorry for my bad english.

Offline themediaengine

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR1200XD-E
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
I posted earlier that if the spokes have loosened themselves it was unusual but probably not serious. If the spokes are broken, I would want to know if there was an underlying reason or at least rule that out. Its possible they were overtight or from a batch with faults and maybe there are others in the same state. I would suggest you don't just replace but make sure the wheel and all the other spokes are checked. I don't want to sound paranoid but if the wheel is coming off...

Offline willb

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »
Just has the same thing. One spoke had unthreaded and had the "ding" noise. Took to dealer ad they just added a new nut, screwed the spoke in and checked all the others. Nov 2017 model and mileage of 13,000 - no off road riding at all. Dealer sorted it all with no charge. Also said he'd never known for a spoke to come loose before.

Offline Snowy

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 10:29:53 AM »
While I frankly don't understand at all how broken spokes outside warranty is a Honda problem, what I will say is that after buying a spare set of genuine wheels (half the price of the aftermarket ones) the very first thing I did with both wheels was tension the spokes. Then again after the first ride. Both times it took quite a lot of tightening.

After that, every time the wheels are swapped over, I check the spokes. They've been fine.

I'm at the 30,000km mark on my 2015 (purchased at the end of 2016, just turned 2), and it's been mostly 2 up, firetrails, dirt and tar roads in the mountains here, and outback roads. It's taken more beating than the BMW I wore out doing the same sort of work. The Honda took a horrendous hit on a washed out cattle grid that had me worrying about cracks in the swingarm. Biggest hit I've encountered on a bike, and I've bent bikes landing hard from big air.

No broken spokes. No broken anything actually. It's been 30,000kms fault free. It was one reason for deciding to go with genuine wheels when I got the spare set. At this point in my BMW ownership I was tearing out what remained of my hair due to failure after failure of simple stuff.